First wind mill, having trouble with too low voltage

Tool
Tool Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello,
I've over the past year saved up and gotten myself 2 vertical windmills, rated 24v 600w.
My problem is that even at what I'd debate is the top speed it'll be reaching, it's only generating 18v.

I've been trying to look into MPPT controllers or DC to DC step up modules, but it's all too complex for me to comprehend.
Is there a way that I can increase the volt to 24v or over for my 24v battery and grid inverter?
Thank you!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VA windmills inherently only produce half of what the same swept area can produce with a HA turbine.

And vendors lie about production.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Tool
    Tool Registered Users Posts: 2
    Yeah I've been getting that vibe from things seeing as it's unable to deliver 24v at it's rated windspeed.
    By now I'm really just calculating whether they'd be worth keeping in my situation, maybe if I could still get 100-200 watts output.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    You can try a boost converter (DC to DC step up power converter). Here is one example (I know nothing about the product--Just an example):

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-DROK-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B076TTBKFG

But frankly, I have never heard of a VAWT that worked, let alone worked reliably. (I am not a wind turbine engineer--Just from everything I have read, VAWT just do not produce any useful energy, and the few that did, would not last very long).

The other possible issue--Any type of wind turbine needs to be mounted on a tower above ground and local obstructions (typically 30 feet minimum above the ground) and fly in non-turbulent air.

Many Vertical wind turbines advertise that they work in turbulent wind (mount on top of building/roof). The reality is very little usable airflow in turbulent air flow. HAWT or VAWT--Neither will do much in turbulent airflow.

Wind turbines are where the do it yourself type seem to work better than about anything you can purchase off the shelf.

If you are looking for just a few hundred Watts--Can you use solar panels. For Demark (guessing your location), fixed array facing south:

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Copenhagen
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 34° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

Say you want a 1,000 WH of energy per day, in dead of winter.
    • 1,000 WH per day * 1/0.52 typical off grid AC battery solar system efficiency * 1/1.27 average hours of sun per day (Winter) = 1,514 Watt array minimum
    Not great sun, so solar is not a wonderful option--But if you need the energy, a large enough array may work for your needs (if usage kept small/have a backup genset).

If these is for a "summer" cabin, anything over 3 hours of sun is not too bad:
    • 1,000 WH per day * 1/0.52 off grid system eff * 1/3.0 hours ("summer") of sun = 641 Watt Array minimum
    Your thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset