IBM's new battery, we hope!

2»

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm
    Ralph Day said:
    Cost you?  I took my Surrette's to the recyclers and got 30cents per pound for them.  2600 pounds.
    That wouid be for lead.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ralph is misreading. The  Lithium type NMC cost $300 and they really could not tell me what they were going to do with it, other than take it off my truck....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day said:
    Cost you?  I took my Surrette's to the recyclers and got 30cents per pound for them.  2600 pounds.
    I don't know what NMC stands for. Nickel Metal Cadmium?

Lead is very easy to recycle and reuse of course.

How/where did you get 30/pound? I was quoted .22 a few months ago. The price fluctuates but .30 seems extraordinary. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Nickel, manganese, and Cobalt as we were talking about..... Most common in cars as they offer the best power per weight, or use to recently.
    35 cents for lead from the dealer I use, if you bought from them previously.

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    30 cents from local large recycler.  There were pallet loads of car batteries, one forklift battery...cracked cases and acid running all over the floor.  I rented a special hand lift cart (wheels move up, wheels move down) to remove from the basement, then borrowed a friend's car moving float to transport 30 minutes away.  Pallet forks borrowed for my tractor.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Scrap lead can be a moving target. My recycler currently pays me $.35 to $.39 per pound and they come and pick them up. This is based on 2,500 to 9,000 lbs. of clean AGMs that are not leaking and I have to palletize/stretch wrap them. The highest that I have seen is $.45 for a single 17,000 lb. lot - but that was two years ago.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day said:
    NMC lithium, not lead.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Never understood wiling away hours on the net while abbreviating most anything possible. Especially C and F when talking temperature. Guess C and F are just that hard. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    We are here to help you understand ;) 
     I am going outside to do some work in the place I love which is very understanding, I think!

• softdown
    AEDHWC