Wiring Oversized Generator

Options
jbreezy
jbreezy Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
We are currently building a new off grid home.  We are moving from another off grid home and are bringing our generator with us.  We have a temporary solar setup right now that was pulled from yet another site and is a 2kW array with a VFX3524 inverter.  We will be expanding to a completely different setup this summer and I'm looking for a temporary solution.  

We have a 10kW 240AC 2 wire start generator.  We have some bigger loads than what the inverter can handle.  I am wondering the best wiring setup is to be able to have the generator start charge batteries and take the load off the house when we are running higher draws.
Thanks  

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The best setup depends on how your inverter deals with a generator ?   Does it have a internal transfer switch, or do you manually switch from inverter to generator ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being that the generator has a significantly larger capacity than the inverter, even if it was capable of accepting an AC input, the input would have to be limited to the inverter's capacity.

Using an auto transfer switch with the generator as the primary source would allow transfer to automatically favor the generator when started. The inverter would remain on but be disconnected from the loads as long as the generator is running , if a search mode is applicable the inverter would go to sleep whilst the generator is running, as soon as the generator is turned off it would transfer to backup or inverter power.

This is something I personally use but not with a generator, I program my prime inverter to " invert block" between certain hours to allow a secondary inverter with less self consumption to carry loads overnight. The theroy of operation is still the same, albeit manual, you choose when to start the generator to run the larger loads. 

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • jbreezy
    jbreezy Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options
    I figured that would be the best way thanks for your response.
  • Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If your Power Distribution Panel has an inverter bypass breaker arrangement  you could also power all of your loads off the generator.