Using 2 MPPT controllers is cheaper?

Wyandotte82
Wyandotte82 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I can buy (2) 40a EPEVER MPPT charge controllers for $248.
Other than a little less wiring and a couple extra breakers, is there any reason to buy the 80a one instead for $336?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Two controllers  would afford some redundancy and  allow for different array orientations, both advantages.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited January 2020 #3
    Just do not "share" a single solar array (each MPPT controller needs "its own" set of solar panels).

And wire each charge controller to battery connection with its own wire run protective + DC battery breaker/fuse (i.e., run "star" or "home run" wiring to the battery bus. Do not Daisy Chain from controller A to Controller B to battery bus with a common wire run/breaker/fuse).

Set both controller to the same settings... The controllers will not always be "in sync" (one may be in float, the other absorb part of the time--For example), but that is OK. There are are higher end charge controllers that have "sync" cable connections/settings--And works nice if present--But again, not required.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can buy (2) 40a EPEVER MPPT charge controllers for $248.
    Other than a little less wiring and a couple extra breakers, is there any reason to buy the 80a one instead for $336?
    I don't  know which 80 amp  you are comparing to, but many will have  broader range of acceptable voltage, and often they have other features, such as starting loads at different points in the charging cycle. In addition, I think the EPever is only  2/24 volt charge controller. Most 80amp will be 12-48(or 60). In fact you should   look   at your system and goals now. It may be better to switch to  higher voltage storage system now, while considering the charge controller. Since they re rted t output current, they  will handle an array twice as large when  you double the system voltage.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.