Location of controller/battery/inverter?

Lotsofchats
Lotsofchats Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello. My boyfriend and I just purchased a solar panel kit and need guidance on best placement of "power center" in relation to panels/house. We have 4-100W panels wired in series sitting 80 ft. away from house. We made moveable insulated wood hutch to house the equipment. How do we keep voltage drop to a minimum? Keep equipment near house and run 80 ft. MC4 cable (10 AWG) or keep everything near panels? If it is latter option then how do we go about bringing the power from inverter in hutch back to our house?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always kept  my power center outside.  Batteries will lose a little capacity when cold, and should be protected from solar gain during the day.  I like to  keep mine as close as possible to the array then send AC power to the residence.  My  old Power center with battery bank in a separate area behind it.

Built from scraps after I built my cabin in 2003.

My new system built in 2012, power center under array, battery is a forklift battery if  you follow the heavy wires to the right.

It's gotten  bit gray with age, but that same inverter has been running since 2004 other than needing the fan replaced.
    I finally bought the Magnum 4024 I had intended, this year, but the other inverter is still in place as a backup. I need to reinstall a transfer switch in the breaker box so I can switch between the 2 easily.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Lotsofchats
    edited December 2019 #3
    Thanks for the reply, very nice setup you have there. So can we keep charge controller and battery together in ONE hutch over at panels or do we have to separate them? We would like to have the inverter directly in living room - can we feed Romex from battery hutch down through wall of our house, or is this unsafe? Also, can we get away with 12 AWG Romex or do we have to stick with 10 AWG?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 #4
    You want to keep the inverter as close to the battery as possible to avoid voltage drop, the same goes for controller to battery and PV wiring. Current is inversely proportional to voltage, 1 amp at 120V would be 10 amps at 12V, or 5 amps at 24V as an example, this is why electrical distribution is done at high voltage then reduced close to point of uss, it reduces the distribution conductor size requirements.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Lotsofchats
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, we will put our hutch next to panels and keep controller, battery AND inverter in there, then run 80 ft. of Romex to house? I see in your second pic you have a duplex outlet attached to your inverter. Is that required before running wire to house? The large yellow wire running out of box down to lawn, is that Romex?
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In your case it would be best to keep everything near the array and run 120VAC living space. The conductors between the two would need mechanical protection, Romex is intended for indoor wiring, conduit, tech cable, direct burial and such are intended for this purpose. Romex cannot by code be installed in conduit either, 14/2 teck or direct burial would be the easiest solution buried to the required depth according local code.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest some sort of partition at least to keep the batteries separated from electronics.  If flooded, they gas a bit.  The gas can be flammable and the mist corrosive.  Even sealed batteries can do nasty things in a fault condition, so IMHO it's best to keep separate.

I don't know if a duplex is required, but I did it anyway as a convenient place to plug in a laptop, temp lighting, etc.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flooded batteries need to be separated from electronics. Their out gassing will be corrosive to electronics and the hydrogen gas is explosive.

I put an outlet in the power center for convenience.  

The problem with distances in running your inverter inside is voltage drop (as others have said).  Check your inverter instructions for wire size over distances.  The inverter connected there is 1800 watts and requires 2/0 minimum over the relatively short distance of 6  feet.

Voltage drop is much higher  with low voltages. Running 120v to the house makes life easier.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.