New to me FLEXpowerTWO

Options
zozomike
zozomike Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

New to me FLEXpowerTWO

FLEXpowerTWO wiringJPG
Hello, I have been off-grid with one VFX3524 and 2 FM 80s for 8-10 years, (self-assembled). When I started, there were no installers in my remote area, and now the few new ones are shy to come up here. Like many others, I needed to add a third?/fourth string. Anyway, so, Now in transition, and I found a used FLEXpowerTwo, ( 2-VFX3524s) and three FM80s, three years old, went to Arizona, picked the monster up and hung it on the wall. I feel pretty confident about everything until I get to the AC panel out. What seems to confuse me on this diagram I think I attached, is the two hot legs from what is called the AC distribution panel. I am hoping that is shown for a grid-tie application? I am hoping I can just bring my Honda EU3000is into AC leg in, and Neutral/ground and the inverters will charge from that? ( 120/40 vac only from genny) Am I setting up some kind of weird com error? Does the system require 240 VAC for charging? ( say no please)

Off grid, all solar, passive and active (winter wood heat supplements) PV DHW.

Array 1-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Array 2-- 12 Sunpower 250, Outback FM 100 3kw

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

10 24 volt Battle Born Lithiums

Outback Flexpower Two, VFXR 3524A 7kw

Comments

• wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a fp1 36/48  I’m just 120 volt , I connect to my ac in , then there is a setting in the mate for  Grid or generator power  and watt setting , I don’t see why you can’t connect you generator to one leg of the ac in and charge with just your master inverter charger . 
    A 3000watts generator is not large enough  to run both chargers any way .
     I charge with a 2800 watt Honda generator and set my ac input to 2000wats so I have some head room to power loads in the house . 
      To run both inverters I believe you do need a generator With 240 out put . John 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    If you look at the quick start guide it is pretty clear that there is grid and generator power coming in to the ac in ,and you would need a transfer switch between them . 
      I think  all the out back inverters  are 120 volt and you need 2 inverters to get 240 volt so your generator should work on on leg 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Outback VFXs can be stacked in a series (120/240 split phase), OR 120v parallel mode.  If needed, the change in mode would be done with a mate display, and I'm pretty sure needs a hub for stacking comms.  Did they come with the mate and hub? 
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Please...Depends on if you wire for 240vac directly. Most do BTW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• zozomike
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I was offline for a couple of days while living on genny and wiring this thing. All seems well. I went 240, and have two extra FM80s hanging for the future expansion. 

Well array 780w, 6 Kyocera 130 w with Grundfos sqflex 11 and cu200 to elevated storage, ( 2- 330 g tanks,) no battery storage at well

• wellbuilt
    Options
    Sweet looking set up 
  • zozomike
    Options

Thanks wellbuilt.
    So I'm working out plans for lightning, surge protection at the flexpower2. Adding whole house at the square d service panel. I think I am allowed to double tap a double pole for that?
    Anyway the inverters have surge protectors factory installed. Good on Outback, but do these somehow protect the charge controllers also?  I could crack it open and try to trace wires but I am on the other side of the planet right now. I have a few Delta aresstors left from original install, should I put those on the cc? Also where would you station something on the generator incoming ac?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    BTW I cross posted this on Outback forum yesterday. 

• wellbuilt
    Options
    I added  serge protection at my 200amp sq d panel ,
    I have a delta SP on my combiner box out side, and one on the Fm 80 inside . 
     I also have one for the ac side of things . 
     My generator is 100 plus feet away but it’s grounded to the ground bar on the ac side of the panel so I think I’m covered there , I 
     dont get much lightning here but there are a few good storms a year .