Forum glitches

mike95490
mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
the Forum is acting different.  Clicking on the "Recent Discussions" gives a normal appearing list of recently updated topics, but trying to view
the Latest:
 now goes to the first message (which could be weeks old) and not the newest.

Bummer, looks like Vanilla has botched this up

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
|| Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
|| VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I was having similar problems... I would click on New (x) posts, and go back to the first post, and going back to the discussion page, it would still say New (x) posts...

Another Vanilla support email...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, Bill.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    They are working on it:
    Hello Bill,

We are aware of the issue with New Discussion articles not refreshing once read and the feed also not updating. Our developers are currently working to rectify it. We will let you know once it has been resolved.

Thanks!
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    Also seems to be the same topics that have the issue.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• BB.
    edited November 2019 #6
    I have not heard anything yet about the status of the repairs yet.

-Bill

PS: Also, still awaiting the resolution of the the "double space" issue between paragraphs.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019 #7
    Bill, I have read this specific page more than 3 times now and It always goes back to post #1...???

ADD:  just signed back into this thread and now it tool me to your post above Mikes latest post 3 above ..."They are working on it "   ???

ADD #2: the Vanilla is not remembering that I have read a post or that I read it 3 times and the Recent Post page shows that I HAVE NOT read the thread more than once today

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    Last I heard yesterday about double spacing:
    Hey Bill, 

That issue is still currently occurring.  Our devs have narrowed down the issue though, and I believe the plan is to deploy a fix soon (either this afternoon or Monday).  

Let us know if you have any other questions!
    And I just asked them for the status of the Latest Post function not working randomly.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Regarding the latest read post problems:
    Hey Bill, 

I believe our devs have found the issue and applied a fix.  It will likely be going out with the next deploy early this coming week.  

Thank you for your patience!
    -Bill
  • westbranch
     Thanks Bill, .... I just went the topic Help Midnite Solar Classic 150 Experts - Resting not float  5 times , or more?, and even tried clicking each individual page so the page counter would register it (??) that I had been there...
    but it always took "me back to Alabama"...the place I (don't) want to be...  hope this is the same 'tick' they are going to update...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • BB.
    For a "first visit" in a "long time", I find I usually go back to the first post (not sure if "pre vanilla", or just >months/years since last visited)...

Anyway, I will let everyone know if/when I hear something more.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    edited December 2019 #12
    FYI I just had to select the last page manually, again... is it just me?  Or am I paranoid about the solar police? :*

• BB.
    For me, that thread always goes to last read/new post... But other threads (for me) always go to the first post. I have not seen any pattern to the "failure" and trying to "force read" a thread made no difference (for me).

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Bill I just 'cleared the  board' so to speak and that 1topic is the only one that will not acknowledge it has been read.  ???
    It must be something in the code of that one specifically...

• BB.
    It will be nice to test when the "fix" is released.

-Bill 
  • littleharbor2
    I keep noticing that the highlighted threads in the list remain highlighted even after reading them. I keep going back thinking there is something new added only to find nothing new.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    Yep, I have the same problem too... Although, they do sometimes get reset.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    looks to me from the great white North, that there is some progress on something as now there are only 2 threads that are still resident after I have viewed them...  All I can say for sure is something has changed

• mike95490
    it's different again, but getting better

• BB.
    I will ask them in the morning for an update... No need to ruin somebody's sleep.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Looks like the double spacing has been fixed (new and old posts).

-Bill
  • BB.
    From what I can tell--We are back to a working forum again (like it was a week or two ago).

There is still the issue that I have with some computers typing paragraphs fine.. And others doing double spacing between paragraphs (Android+Firefox for me)--But this is an old problem they have never fixed.

Also, there are threads that had problems with Last Post Read positioning problems (goes to first post in thread always), those threads when you open them once more, will now go to last unread post the next time opened.

-Bill
  • littleharbor2
    I just clicked on this thread which showed a highlighted new post and it took me to the first post, so, not all fixed yet.

• BB.
    LH2,

I tried your user profile and looked at this thread... I was dropped to this last post.

Is your browser still going to the first post in this discussion?

-Bill
  • littleharbor2
    No, Bill, this time it went straight to your last post.

• BB.
    I think that (random) old threads that went to the first post, instead of the end of the thread, need to be opened and "read" to reset the pointers to the correct location. After the fix was released.

Bill

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    BTW,  a year or two ago,  would always get double-spacing on a single 'Enter",  on a Win 7 computer.

Then,  using 'Shift" + 'Enter"  yielded a single space   ...   although,  those using Phones/Tablets,   might not find this to be of any help.  It seems that this Forum software has a particular set of requirements for each user's environment.

FWIW,  am now using a different environment,  ONLY for this Forum.   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Hi Vic, and other members...

I am going to report (again) the problem with some editors preforming the "double space" problem with some environments (my Android phone, with FireFox Beta is very consistent for me to cause the problem... Windows, Chromebook, etc. don't seem to often or at all).

And, is there anything else that people see as a problem/issue/like to update the forum that we are missing now? I might see if I can get any add-ons that help using the forum a bit easier/nicer (like different color themes?).

-Bill
  • BB.
    edited December 2019 #29
    Vic, and anyone else that has issues with an extra space on the forum... Can you try posting a example of the problem here using the "problem browser and OS" -- Including a description of your environment?
    I just tried with my Android phone + Fire Fox Beta, and what failed last week (double spacing) did not fail this morning.
    The above was "single space" between paragraphs on Chrome/Chromebook/using Chrome Browser.

The above and below of this line was a "double" <enter> on my browser (one enter to next line, a second enter to double space).

-Bill
  • BB.

Everyone,

I have asked Vanilla to remove Wall Posts (just use regular forum posts and private messages--Wall posts are sort of "left field" for us).

However, the change has messed up their forum profile for us... They are working on the problem.

Sincerely,

-Bill

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,
    Just now,  there seems to be Double Spacing.
    Each of the above lines used only one Enter,  yet,   created a double space.
    Shift+ Enter does NOT result in a single space,  now.

This little Computerette is a Raspberry Pi 3B+,   running the Chromium Browser.
    We used to use a Win7 machine,   and complained of DSing with a single Enter,   but  having adverse comments about the Forum Software seemed to cause disappointment at that time,   so we ceased coming here,  until recently.

However,  it might just be that everything on this site  looks DSed,  with this  "computer"   ...   will look at some older Discussions to see.   FWIW -THANKS !   Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.