Ground mount solar panels

Options
wellbuilt
wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
Hi all , I have a question about ground mounting some solar panels . 
  I have a leach field for my cabin roughly 40x 100 ‘ and I would like to mount a row of panels across the 40, end so 9 panels 3 strings of 3 or 12 panels 4 strings of 3 in picture frame configuration . 
 I really can’t dig footings in the leach field  and keep the DEC happy but I can service mount the panels . 
  The question is what could I use for ballast , I know a lot of guys just make a wood frame  but I’m looking for something more permanent. 
   I have  4 pieces 8x8wide flanged steal beams 8’ long 40lbs a foot 320lbs each .
    Then I have 4 concrete 18x18 x36” concrete wall block @ 800 lbs each . 
    I can also get my hands on some 2x2x6 Mafia blocks that  are used to make storage bins in supply yards that are about 2500lbs each . 
     I’m thinking about placing them @ 10' apart , I’m in a windy area but we don’t really get hurricanes 
  I would use sch 40 pipe bolted / welded to the block or steal .                                       Thanks for the reply’s John 
Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Building a space frame out of lesser gauge square steel is incredibly strong, mounted with tee feet embedded in concrete will provide sufficient ballast, a simple form made of 2 × 6" lumber could be made to float above grade with some rebar to prevent cracking. The most important thing to remember is cross bracing, strength is in triangulation, most tend to over build with large dimension lumber, but steel is far stronger if properly designed, it is however  subject to corrosion, galvanized steel is particularly useful in such conditions, or a good primer and paint works well.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have seen people pour concrete in large sono tubes on the surface, or into short culvert sections (or even wooden forms, as long as the mass is big enough to secure the panels from wind.  Also I have seen people use “jersey barrier/no post” concrete abutments.

tony
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another possibility might be helical anchors/piles like are sometimes used for decks.   I'd be a bit worried about really heavy and non-permeable ballast on a septic field?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • waynec
    waynec Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Options
    I like the suggestion of helical anchors especially the ones used to stabilize telephone & electrical poles. Should be able to locate the field lines by pushing small diameter steel rod in suspected area and if you hit the gravel bed for the sewer line move over and locate the next and so forth. Of course still depends on approval of building department.

• wellbuilthome
    wellbuilthome Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi all , I’ve been cut off for a few days , I can’t singe in .
     I’ve decided to go with 4 concrete blocks @ 3500lbs each I picked them up for free .
     I’m going to set them in line 10 feet apart . 
      The frame work will be made from 2” sch 40 I want to use iron ridge 1000 to mount my panels but I’m not sure it can span the 10'
    Out back  flex power one vfx3648A 15 295 watt panel . 
     Out back fx80 CC 
     16  GC 215 amp ah battery’s 
       9 295 watt panels for ground mount  will be installed next year