Hey, Dave! Not about weeds

2»

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Along the same lines of the eclipse one can sign up for an e-mail of when the space station flies overhead. if you have not seen it, it is one of the nice things to see in the night sky. We have been watching it since I was a project engineer on one of the sub systems.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

Word of caution about outboards and sub freezing temps.  Keep the lower unit of the outboard submerged and it won’t be damaged.  Alternatively, it looks like you have a boat lift.  Make sure the outboard is tilted completely down to drain or the water in it won’t drain.  Tilted outboards hold water and will freeze and crack.  I have to keep a boat in the water until the lake nearly freezes solid.  Our bays an inlets freeze, but my island “Harbour” doesn’t until the rest of the lake freezes.  This year we may seal up a month early with this cold snap, if we keep getting cold nights with no wind.  Once it  has sealed, it won’t reopen until May.

Tony
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kinda wondered about outboards and freezing.  Had to pull & winterize my (I/O) boat a few weeks ago and close up the cabin for freeze-up. 

There's a little Lund and 9.9hp OB that came with the place.  One of these years maybe I'll get around to seeing if I can get it running.  My bay will be frozen over now, but lots of years I think it's open until near end of Nov.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Blackda3 said:
    Hi Marc - I also wanted to say thank you for the beautiful photos.  I know the following is very much an "in the weeds" comment but I wanted to call to your attention that on 08-Apr-2024 you will be in the path of a total solar eclipse.  I hope you get a chance to enjoy it.  

OH, Yes Sir - I do know and I am looking forward to the opportunity!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Marc Kurth
    icarus said:
    Mark,

Word of caution about outboards and sub freezing temps.  Keep the lower unit of the outboard submerged and it won’t be damaged.  Alternatively, it looks like you have a boat lift.  Make sure the outboard is tilted completely down to drain or the water in it won’t drain.  Tilted outboards hold water and will freeze and crack.  I have to keep a boat in the water until the lake nearly freezes solid.  Our bays an inlets freeze, but my island “Harbour” doesn’t until the rest of the lake freezes.  This year we may seal up a month early with this cold snap, if we keep getting cold nights with no wind.  Once it  has sealed, it won’t reopen until May.

Tony
    Tony,
    I appreciate the info. I always tilt my outboard "down" all of the way in order to relieve the hydraulic pressure on the trim/tilt actuator seals. This also drains the water at the same time.Plus, I never leave it tilted up in order to avoid crankcase oil (4 stroke) from seeping past the rings, into the the cylinders. Got that from my Yamaha manual.
    In fact, my motor only gets tilted up once per year when I pull the boat for maintenance. (I have my own launching ramp)  It takes only 30-40 seconds for the lift to get the boat up high enough for the prop to be dry, while trimmed all the way down, so I just lift the boat out at the end of each boating day. We occasionally hit 12F to 14F here for a night or two (18F last night) but very, very rarely stay below freezing for a full 24 hours.
    I will be out boating in warm weather next week!
    Marc
  • Marc Kurth
    Along the same lines of the eclipse one can sign up for an e-mail of when the space station flies overhead. if you have not seen it, it is one of the nice things to see in the night sky. We have been watching it since I was a project engineer on one of the sub systems.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Great reminder - I keep forgetting to do that!
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any of Marc's pictures.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day said:
    I haven't seen any of Marc's pictures.
    They are in posts 7, 11, 14, 16, 22 and 30 of this thread. 

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #40
    I think that there was a misunderstanding when I said that this Thanksgiving would include Turkey. These two came strolling into my yard assuming that they were invited! Not what I generally think of when ordering Wild Turkey.

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    As Homer Simpson would say.....”rrrrrrrrr...tuuuuukeeeey!”
  • Marc Kurth
    edited November 2019 #42
    LOL I was surprised by their sudden appearance.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely, I can see them.  Around here they've become pests...farmers doing crop insurance claims due to their munching.
  • Marc Kurth
    Around here, the coyotes, bobcats and feral hogs keep the wild turkey population under control.