Should I buy these batteries?

2»

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    2manytoyz said:
    I realize this is an older thread, but I have an important update about these NPP batteries.  Mine just failed after 1.5 years of gentle use.  SOC was never below 80%, and often 85-90% by morning.  They would charge to 96%+ via solar, otherwise they were topped off with an IOTA 75A charger. 

About a week ago, my low voltage alarm on my inverter sounded at 4AM.  Xantrex LinkPRO showed the battery bank at 87%, but the 1000AH battery bank was down to 11.1V.

The loads were disconnected, and the batteries were completely recharged.  I disconnected each one (of 5), and applied a 100A load tester.  The voltage immediately dropped below 11V, and showed them to be on the edge of "weak".  Keep in mind, these are 200AH batteries, rated at supplying 1400A for 5 seconds!

While I can find examples of NPP having a 2 year warranty on these in the past, when I click on the highlighted links, the ads now all show only 1 year.  Obviously a known issue.  I've found similar reviews after I bought mine.

I contacted NPP (the seller via Amazon).  They simply said they have a 1 year warranty (now), and offered no support, nor were interested in how they were used, or why they failed.  Amazon now lists it as "unavailable".  That was an $1825 mistake.  I will be sharing my experience with this product on the various forums, my website, my YouTube channel, and on the Amazon reviews.  I will be using these as a core exchange, and buying golf cart 6V batteries once again.  Those typically last me 5-6 years in hot FL.

FWIW - that appears to be a Harbor Freight battery tester. I do not believe in the credibility of that tester while maintaining that many Harbor Freight tools are quite good. Their "electronics" are often a different story. 

Here is a pretty good tester with real numbers to work with: https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BA101-Professional-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B01M0ARG3X/ref=sr_1_8?crid=24M1268N0HSHI&keywords=automotive+battery+tester&qid=1573226308&sprefix=autotmotive+battery+,aps,279&sr=8-8

It may be cheaper at Ebay with older firmware a possibility - guessing on that. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    What size of battery charging cables are those? Copper or aluminum? As I recall - 4/0 for parallel and 2/0 for serial is common code. They look smallish  - to these old eyes.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, did you try charging each battery individually, or only as a bank of 5 in parallel?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • faccnator
    faccnator Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
    The original post was mine. Just wanted to let everyone know my used batteries are still going strong! 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    faccnator said:
    The original post was mine. Just wanted to let everyone know my used batteries are still going strong! 
    Good news! Hoping you get many more years out of them!
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • faccnator
    faccnator Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Thank you!
  • softdown
    Estragon said:
    Just curious, did you try charging each battery individually, or only as a bank of 5 in parallel?
    What I am thinking. Charge each one individually with a quality charger. See where the problem is.