340w sunpower commercial panels P17 used on residential install ok? No warranty.

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
I saw these panels online for 35 cents a watt, new but without warranty.  Even though they are commercial units, There is no reason why they couldn't be used on a residential GT system right? They are extra long and about 50 lbs, so not the easiest panel to install. I've read sunpower makes quality panels so not too worried about no warranty and given the last 2 solar panels manufacturer's I used are out of business there is no guarantee a 25 year warranty will be honored if sunpower goes out of business.  I like the parallel solar cell configuration to keep on producing electricity even when partially shaded. 

Specs are below:

SPR-P17-340-COM
340 W
+5/−0%
16.5%
vmpp 42.5 V
Rated Current (Impp) 8.00 A
Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc) 51.3 V
Short-Circuit Current (Isc)
Short-Circuit Current (Isc) 8.52 A
Voltage Temp. Coef  −174.4 mV / ° C 
Weight 51 lbs (23.1 kg)
SunPower provides the best 25 year Combined Power and Product warranty in the industry, providing coverage regardless of product defect or power loss.  
SunPower® Performance Series panels are designed to deliver consistent performance for many decades in commercial applications.
 The Performance Series modules deliver more energy due to higher performance in row-to-row shading, enabling closer row spacing and more energy from the same area. The unique parallel circuitry limits shading loss to the shaded area only instead of much larger sections of energy loss in conventional panels.1
Design Tip: When modeling P-Series energy performance be sure to use linear shading losses.
For more detailed guidance please visit https://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpower/files/medialibrary/manuals/mn-sunpower-p-series-modelingguide.pdf
 Higher Efficiency The Performance Series design minimizes white space between solar cells, eliminates reflective metal lines on the cells, and lowers electrical resistance between cells, increasing efficiency compared to Conventional Commercial Panels.
2 High Reliability Innovative panel design uses flexible and redundant electrical connections between solar cells to deliver enhanced reliability. SunPower Quality Tested to SunPower’s rigorous quality standards, and backed by the industry’s best Combined Power and Product Warranty.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Just watch when buying Sunpower panels... I don't think they sell retail, and sometimes -A and -B grade panels are sold... And they may pull the Label Name (no warranty) and could pull the UL/NRTL tag (not really legal for GT solar if not NRTL rated panels).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes 'commercial units' will have minimal labels, some will be minor difference and marking which may not carry UL or ETL to UL certification. If there is an inspector to 'please' you might be sure that the panels are marked with appropriate certification for home use.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    yes santan solar has verified they have correct labels for GT.  thanks for replies :)
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd inspect carefully.  Are they really new? If they were used for an install then removed, you'd have to wonder why.  Did some donkey connect/disconnect them under load and damage the mc4 contacts, etc .?  Who's selling them (did they "fall off the back of a truck in the middle of the night")?  Someone stole a few pallets from a commercial gt install near me in the spring, maybe it's them  ;)
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Estragon said:
    I'd inspect carefully.  Are they really new? If they were used for an install then removed, you'd have to wonder why.  Did some donkey connect/disconnect them under load and damage the mc4 contacts, etc .?  Who's selling them (did they "fall off the back of a truck in the middle of the night")?  Someone stole a few pallets from a commercial gt install near me in the spring, maybe it's them  ;)
    San Tan Solar is a legit retail business. I've dealt with them and was very pleased with the merchandise and customer service.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If being sold by a legit retailer, that would make a big difference IMHO.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BillK
    BillK Registered Users Posts: 5
    New to this forum but have been off-grid for almost 20 years now and boy how things have changed since I did my last system upgrade. I'm getting ready to install 18 Sunpower P17 350w panels on 3 pole mounts. Bought them from San Tan Solar as well. Here's the thing to keep in mind with Sunpower panels (and I bought mine knowing this), the instant anyone who is not a Sunpower certified installer does anything with them your warranty is gone.

Solar going mainstream is definitely a good news bad news situation for those of us from the old days. Lots of great new products and innovation available but getting harder to find dealers who want to deal with home owners installing their own system.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The above is unfortunately very true. You need to know all of the ins / outs and do your due diligence. It can help to have a pro keeping a second set of eyes on you for down the road. At least you will not be blindsided and make installation mistakes that DIY are often written about here in this forum.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• madsci1016
    madsci1016 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Also considering buying these panels (without warranty, i got that) from san tan. Are you still happy with them? 

• TheAppleTreeGuy
    TheAppleTreeGuy Registered Users Posts: 4
    Yes! I also want to know how those Sunpower panels are doing, also what they look like installed.... They have a different look to them compared to the rest of them right? Thanks!