grid tie inverter used in series with a MS4448PAE

Options
KenMorgan
KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
I just recently purchased a 5 year old set of used panels and a sharp 3.5kw grid tie inverter.  I only bought the system for the panels as 20 panels for 700 USD is a good deal.  Then I started thinking....

Bear with my stupidity, but what would happen if i ran the output of the grid tie inverter into the MS4448pae's line in one, and line in two?  IE pretend like the grid tie inverter was line power. 

I would think that the magnum would just treat it the same as line power until the power dropped below the low voltage cut out.  so assuming that the power drops (late in the evening, or say temporary cloud cover. so the power drops, and the magnum then switch to inverting.  what happens to any output of the gridtie?  as the transfer circuit breakers are open in regards to the gridtie inverter, would it blow the gridtie or damage the magnum? 

I obviously do not want to damage the magnum so I am leary of trying this without talking to the forum here.

thoughts?  legitimate input?  reasonable comments please.

Ken
30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it. 

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope.  Without seeing an energized Grid, the GT inverter will not start up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is AC coupling which may partially achieve what is asked, see attachment for information regarding this.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Solfyr
    Solfyr Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options
    Island protection prevents most GTIs from powering on , I guess .

• KenMorgan
    KenMorgan Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    There is AC coupling which may partially achieve what is asked, see attachment for information regarding this.
       and this was what I was thinking of as I use a MS PAE series that has these features.  as I no longer have grid power at my cabin (I opted out of paying the new "fees" to keep it I was just wondering if there was some way to use the grid tie inverter I got with the extra panels I just bought. just curious..

30kw LiFePo4 battery bank, 18 JA solar 200 watt panels, 20 sharp 200 watt panels,  morningstar controller(s) and a magnum 4448 inverter with all the usual junk that goes with it.