Since this section is called "In the Weeds"

Marc Kurth
Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭

Some simple weeds in my yard

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.

Comments

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #2
    What is the difference between a weed and a flower?  Think I read that dandelions used to be desirable and making a comeback of sorts. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A weed is just a plant growing where you don't want it (except in cities where it's a weed if the city aays it is).  On boulevards, which is city owned but not city maintained, anything except green grass not more than ~4" high is a weed.

At the cabin I've let it go mostly wild, and get wild flowers of various types most of the spring, summer, and fall.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Awesome pics!! 

Is photography a business or hobby? 
  • Marc Kurth
    PNW_Steve said:
    Awesome pics!! 

Is photography a business or hobby? 

Hi Steve, just a hobby now.  It was a living for me for a few years, but I couldn't make enough money to support a wife and 5 kids.
  • Marc Kurth
    And of course, where there are weeds...............

• Marc Kurth
    And these two were walking among the weeds in my yard

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Turkeys are now found around the East Bay (San Francisco Bay) suburbs now:

https://www.kqed.org/news/11745613/wild-turkeys-strutting-around-your-suburbs-but-why

Turkeys have a long history in California. A native species, Meleagris californica, once lived around the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles. But that species went extinct thousands of years ago, and the turkeys we see today are not native to California.

The turkeys in your yard — or in Amanda's case at the gas station — were introduced by the California Fish and Game Commission (now the Department of Fish and Wildlife) between 1959 and 1999 to encourage recreational hunting that would generate revenue through licenses and such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice shots but my vote is for the motor lifeboat pix.  :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Marc I  can not view your pictures and It seems to be related to an inability of Firefox not being able to "verify the security" of some piece of the file or  were they are stored...  Any assistance or knowledge about why they are converted to a box would be appreciated...  Man the net is getting clamped down on daily, tighter and tighter. Soon nothing good will be out there!
    thanks

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Marc I  can not view your pictures and It seems to be related to an inability of Firefox not being able to "verify the security" of some piece of the file or  were they are stored...  Any assistance or knowledge about why they are converted to a box would be appreciated...  Man the net is getting clamped down on daily, tighter and tighter. Soon nothing good will be out there!
    thanks
    "Do it in the name of security, you can justify it in the end." 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #12
    Yes social security. Can you see my low res pix of Thomas my killer herding turkeys? He wants them to teach him to fly up 70 feet into a ponderosa for the night.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    All cats identify as lions I think. 

• Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks
    Possible fix for blocked images in Firefox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-problems-images-not-show

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Marc Kurth
    @westbranch , I do not know what to suggest. They are simple jpg's parked in a directory. 
    I have rented space on servers provided by 1&1 since 2005. (Now they are call IONOS) I use Firefox also and have no issues viewing my images or others.
    Marc
  • westbranch
    thanks Marc, This is a new to me  W10 desktop. and between Firefox ,W10 and Zone Alarm I am thinking there is a conflict but I can not find it....  I loved my old XP , when a glitch occurred YOU could find out what to do to fix it  or it was intuitive to fix....

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Marc Kurth
    IMHO, XP Pro was the last clean, fast, reliable and easy to troubleshoot version. I have to say that W10 has treated me pretty well.
  • softdown
    Took my Windows 10 into the shop for password recovery today. *******policestate was not a good enough hint to spur my tired old memory. I imagine that password is bound to be of interest to many who have 40 hours to conduct 4 hours of work. 

TurboTax will not work with Windows 7 next year. Though I really need to quit using that gawdawful program that gets much worse with each passing year. 

The easiest thing to do with computers in my experience is just use the defaults. Not that I ever do that. But it is what "they" want us to do. 
  • westbranch
    S-down, be happy about  Turbo tax needing W10 that happened to us 3 years ago up here...and XP wwas dropped 2 years befofre tha... the program getting worse, I believe it is the Tax Department that makes the programmers add the ?? improvements???

• softdown
    S-down, be happy about  Turbo tax needing W10 that happened to us 3 years ago up here...and XP wwas dropped 2 years befofre tha... the program getting worse, I believe it is the Tax Department that makes the programmers add the ?? improvements???
    I'm positive that it is. No way should mileage deductions be cut over half in the face of increasing automotive expenses. Credit card interest charges only deductible on a business card? Utter bullshit. And they quit carrying over losses which is an incomprehensibly gigantic change.  

Plus they made it more and more confusing. In my effort to comply I lost my rental depreciation - a huge reason to put up with landlord nonsense. 

Turbo Tax was designed to let people do their own taxes. They have changed that. Still have a little PTSD after doing my taxes a week and a half ago. 

Pretty sure I could do better, and have an easier time these days, with paper forms. But I have said that before. Then Turbo Tax "next year? comes out and I gobble it up. 

My taxes are quite complex for a somewhat poor guy. I could not afford a professional. No way.