Winter cometh...

2»

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus said:
    This morning..10/3/19

OUCH!! No thank you, Sir. But I am glad that some folks thrive on it - just not me.

Marc
    Difference however...is that looking out on your lake, you get to see your neighbors.  On 15 kms of lake, I have no neighbors at all. There are 2 other private properties on the lake, one occupied a couple of weeks a summer, the other for about 4 weeks.  Few non resident fishermen in occasionally, and in the winter/early spring every once in a while a snowmobile will come by.

Just the way I like it...

Tony
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Difference however...is that looking out on your lake, you get to see your neighbors.  On 15 kms of lake, I have no neighbors at all. There are 2 other private properties on the lake, one occupied a couple of weeks a summer, the other for about 4 weeks.  Few non resident fishermen in occasionally, and in the winter/early spring every once in a while a snowmobile will come by.

Tony

Yes - your place sounds almost ideal for a solitude lover such as myself. That would likely be almost impossible in the lower 48 states.

Being a little bit competitive at times, it has crossed my mind to post up some near by Colorado scenery someday. This is the bottom lake in a trio at the top of a local hiking trail. But the trail is used a lot more these days - have to avoid week-ends. What is the point of "getting away from it all" if there are people all about? 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Remote solitude can be pure bliss!
    icarus said:
    icarus said:
    This morning..10/3/19

OUCH!! No thank you, Sir. But I am glad that some folks thrive on it - just not me.

Marc

Tony
    Tony, your lifestyle is idyllic!
    As I get older, I have come to realize that I need a support network of like minded people. My days of trying to be totally self sufficient are gone.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Not what I was looking for. Best I could do. Solid C-.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found it takes some time to adjust from too many people to none, and back again.  The transitions can be interesting, not always in a good way.

I've also found I prefer to not have a support  network of like-minded people, but rather a network of people who understand things but can offer a different perspective.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Estragon said:
    I've found it takes some time to adjust from too many people to none, and back again.  The transitions can be interesting, not always in a good way.

I've also found I prefer to not have a support  network of like-minded people, but rather a network of people who understand things but can offer a different perspective.
    I do understand.
    I was referring to being prepared for emergency situations. That's what I meant about not trying to be self sufficient. I cannot grow all of my own food, I cannot perform surgery on myself, etc, etc.
  • Estragon
    Agreed.  Being totally self-sufficient wouldn't last long.  Being able to quiet the noise for a bit does have merit though, as does being able to get through an adverse situation without having to rely on outside assistance for at least a while.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • icarus
    We actually have a pretty robust community...it just small, and quite spread out.  The other day for example, I got a friend from a few lakes over to come help me with some steel roofing installation.  The favor always gets returned.  We are isolated, but in this day and age, not “alone”.  In an absolute emergency, I can get a helicopter medevac here in 1/2 hour, and we have a place to land one 3 kms down the lake.  Years ago, it was a trip down the lake, a walk through the bush, and flag down the next train to get help.  Not so any more.

Of course it is more of a challenge when I am the only one around, but that is rare.  All that said, if this is the way you have mostly always been, you learn to deal with what you have to.  I too am getting older, and now spend considerable time away, especially from now until later in the winter.  In fact, we are about to pull out for the wet coast for a while, and then, back sometime late winter.

Tony
  • Estragon
    Kinda feels like the wet coast here just now!  Early next week looks nice though.
    Off-grid.  
  • icarus
    Yea..we had over 70 cm of rain in September.  Had several CM of snow a couple of days ago, rain again today!  T
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #42
    We had 190 cm, in September, first drought then flooding, usually this is the annual average between May and September, climate change perhaps? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    Started using my "winter door" on the bedroom - 3" of foam insulation. Well, this location is the second coldest in Colorado. Woke up at 4am with a minor headache, the first in years I think. Had to have lowered the oxygen level. Odd since I left a ceiling window partially open in the adjacent sunroom. I shouldn't consume too much oxygen from 800 square feet though three dogs are helping out. But I have always used freakish amounts of oxygen. Which makes deep diving far more dangerous. Takes two x-ray plates to fit the lungs. After all, I was the "Jolly Green Giant" of my school. 

Takes longer to adapt when 61 I guess. 61 does feel older than 60, I swear that I lost some fitness when I turned 61. Climbing a hill was unusually tough a couple days ago. May have to rethink my plans of 3 vehicular ascents, and two running descents, of Mt. Blanca in one day. Felt entirely possible until a week ago.  

Perhaps we just have less energy and endurance late in the day? 

McGivor wonders about climate change. Nobody knows for sure I would guess. 
  • Estragon
    icarus said:
    Yea..we had over 70 cm of rain in September.  Had several CM of snow a couple of days ago, rain again today!  T
    Was that 70mm?  We got ~182mm.  190cm - that's about six feet of rain!
    Off-grid.  
  • Marc Kurth
    Estragon said:
    Agreed.  Being totally self-sufficient wouldn't last long.  Being able to quiet the noise for a bit does have merit though, as does being able to get through an adverse situation without having to rely on outside assistance for at least a while.
    100% in agreement.
    As a kid, I grew up on a 640 acre ranch (surrounded by larger places) where my folks always made sure to have food, water and supplies to hold us over for months.As an adult, being prepared is second nature to me.
    Living in an area with a long growing season and being surrounded by friends with ranches and farms is important to me. My network of people with pooled resources and a variety of skill sets is why I live specifically where I do.
  • icarus
    Estragon said:
    icarus said:
    Was that 70mm?  We got ~182mm.  190cm - that's about six feet of rain!
    That was over 70 CM (over 25”) just in September.  Probably had another 50 mm today.  T
  • Estragon
    Wow.  The lake rose a couple of feet with the rain we got.  With 700mm we'd have some real problems with lake level.  I have floating docks with ramps to fairly high onshore cribs, but there are lots of in-water fixed crib and pole docks around here.
    Off-grid.  
  • icarus
    I know that the Rainy River watershed (of which we are at the head waters) had record rain since labour day.  The water authority for Rainy lake/river, Lake of the Woods and the Winnipeg river systems have been doing some active control management.  Rainy has an outflow elevation control dam as does LoW iirc.  

Since we are a head water lake, (the next lake drains to Superior) our level is only effected by our local conditions, and it is up over a foot in the last couple of weeks.  All the little beaver ponds and potholes are filled to overflowing, the ground is saturated everywhere.

T
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just basic global cooling in the northern hemisphere. Happens every year this time. Those poor blokes down in "strailia" are running their fans now. Is it manmade or the big guy upstairs?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Marc Kurth
    Just basic global cooling in the northern hemisphere. Happens every year this time. Those poor blokes down in "strailia" are running their fans now. Is it manmade or the big guy upstairs?
    Good luck with that one!
  • Estragon
    I didn't realize the watershed went that far east.  There are control measures, but there's a limit to what they can do.  Lotw dams are at nearly fully open.

Anyway, with all that rain there working it's way downstream,  I guess that explains in part why lotw inflows spiked to >1800 cubic metres/second vs normal Sept of ~250.  Max outflow is around 1200, inflow is still around 1400 (before this rain) so rising water levels it is.
    Off-grid.  
  • icarus
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #53
    softdown said:
    Takes longer to adapt when 61 I guess. 61 does feel older than 60, I swear that I lost some fitness when I turned 61.
    I hear you at 57.   And it seems harder and harder each year to maintain what little I have left too.  :(
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #54
     Is it man made or the big guy upstairs?
    Well the Big Guy upstairs did say He would destroy the world by fire this time around. So maybe destroying it ourselves is really over our pay grade and above our job description.
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • Dave Angelini
    MrM1 said:
     Is it man made or the big guy upstairs?
    Well the Big Guy upstairs did say He would destroy the world by fire this time around. So maybe destroying it ourselves is really over our pay grade and above our job description.
    Totally agree!

The west  (NA) did pretty well this past year with fires, so maybe he is rethinking and not overthinking ;)
    Even Florida has done well. The Jimmy Buffet effect?

I still think Canada should build a water way down to California and we can drain it into the SF bay to make the floaters/syringes go out in the ocean.

Most folks don't know that  two of the largest politically correct cities in California drain untreated sewage in the SF Bay. Sacramento sends it down the delta and that was the reason all of the water for farmers in the central valley was severely reduced. Have to flush it!

The Sierra Clubs goal is to reduce farming (because they use water) and have the water flow exactly as id did before there were 39 million people here. They would rather we buy fruits and vegetables fro South America. I think many of the left actually believe that it all comes from the grocery store.

We have plenty of real problems to solve out here from decades of making more laws that just keep the lawyers fully billed. I will give it 5 or so more years to turn and then move to Nevada or Texas. You can't have too much Willie Nelson some days :smile:

Lovely fall day out in the Sierra better change my tune and go for the good part.

• softdown
    "I think many of the left actually believe that it all comes from the grocery store." A lot of them believe that all good things come from government. More government equals more good things! Can't miss!
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019 #57
    I still think Canada should build a water way down to California and we can drain it into the SF bay to make the floaters/syringes go out in the ocean.

Dave you will be waiting a long time for that water I think... just look at all the protesting about  'twinning' (actually tripling the volume of)  the gas /oil pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver, BC,. let alone a Canada EAST pipeline to Ontario and Quebec, and then the line that will go from Alberta to the Texas Gulf coast...  Even though all those pipelines will be needed during  the period of transition to different forms of moving people and goods from the producers to the consumers.

What a mess the world will be in in 30 or so years, when I will be 100 +/- if the guys in power don't get IT together.... the protesting  and uprising going on around the world is getting nowhere and the protestors don't want to accept any of the possible solutions  so far, there seems to be intransigence rather than negotiation....

Meanwhile at the lake:
    Icarus (Tony)  we had the wettest summer in 70 years according to to the (slim) records that are available.  The rains came for a month then we got nice warm sunny weather and then another wet one and now we are on the edge of winter with rain at the lake and that white stuff creeping down our mountains...   been just  1* or 2* C every morning  and 10  -12 in the days with those North winds  making it a tad uncomfortable to do outside work... Our lake is also the headwaters of a river that heads to Bute Inlet  and then Georgia Straight near Campbell River (town).  and its beaver-controlled elevation has been rising all summer, time for the local rancher to get out some dynamite 

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    I have the time (I think) to wait.... Agree totally Eric and that is why we are not saving the good wine. Well we are for the rest of October.

Can hardly wait for November and as Frank (the man) said, "I feel sorry for those who do not take a drink, waking up is the best they will feel all day.

A good winter goal for those with traditional IRA's or equivalents, convert them to Roth IRA's in the next 5 years slowly. Most people defer paying the conversion tax to long. They then are taking RMD's and are in higher brackets. There has never been a time in recent US history (since Reagan) when taxes are lower. Free advice you should take if you can. Small business can do this also!

• icarus

Dave you will be waiting a long time for that water I think... just look at all the protesting about  'twinning' (actually tripling the volume of)  the gas /oil pipeline from Alberta to Vancouver, BC,. let alone a Canada EAST pipeline to Ontario and Quebec, and then the line that will go from Alberta to the Texas Gulf coast...  Even though all those pipelines will be needed during  the period of transition to different forms of moving people and goods from the producers to the consumers.

What a mess the world will be in in 30 or so years, when I will be 100 +/- if the guys in power don't get IT together.... the protesting  and uprising going on around the world is getting nowhere and the protestors don't want to accept any of the possible solutions  so far, there seems to be intransigence rather than negotiation....

Meanwhile at the lake:
    Icarus (Tony)  we had the wettest summer in 70 years according to to the (slim) records that are available.  The rains came for a month then we got nice warm sunny weather and then another wet one and now we are on the edge of winter with rain at the lake and that white stuff creeping down our mountains...   been just  1* or 2* C every morning  and 10  -12 in the days with those North winds  making it a tad uncomfortable to do outside work... Our lake is also the headwaters of a river that heads to Bute Inlet  and then Georgia Straight near Campbell River (town).  and its beaver-controlled elevation has been rising all summer, time for the local rancher to get out some dynamite 

Eric,  I was passing by your niighbourhood this past August.  Up to Pr. George, and out toward Rupert.  We venture south out of Burns Lake into the Francois lake area, where I spent some time in the 1970s.  Fun to revisit.  Very wet, very damp, most especially compared to last summer!.  Hope all is well, T