Xantrex 4024 and Generator

johnny84
johnny84 Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hello,

I recently sent my Kubota 6500 in for service and bought a small inverter type generator as a standby. The Xantrex didn't like the new generator ( I read that Xantrex and inverter gens don't mix well ). I returned the gen and picked up a firman 7552, rated at 7500 running watts. Well, I could hear the ac2 relay kicking on and off.

I never had this issue before. Well, I brought back the Kubota, hooked her up and now I'm having the same relay switching problem.

No fault codes, I cleaned the contacts on the relay as best I could with emery cloth.

The new generator was reading 63 hertz. Did some thing get fried by the small generator?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks. 
40 years, I was solar/off grid before solar was cool

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnny84 said:

No fault codes, I cleaned the contacts on the relay as best I could with emery cloth.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks. 
    Emery cloth is absolutely the wrong thing to clean plated contacts with.   I'm really surprised a tech told you to do that.  The striker strip of a match book is the traditional cleaner, but I usually just use a sheet of folded paper with 90% alcohol on it.

Suggestion - plan on replacing the relay when the contacts weld closed
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• johnny84
    Oops. I read it while trolling this forum. Guess I know better now and thanks for the info. Any ideas on my situation? Besides, if they end up welding closed, I'd definably figure to replace them, that's an easy one to figure.
  • johnny84
    wow, mike95490, I'm #8373? cool, and thanks again. I did figure out the problem. I'll let you know if/when my contacts weld, crossing my fingers!