Ultrasonic pest controllers

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
I trust a guy who swears by this technology. So I ordered six to try them out. Each unit consumes 4-6 watts by the way. A single unit can service a pretty large area (over 1000 sq ft) but does not penetrate walls and doors. Figure one unit for each room that you seek protection in. 

"Repels Ants, Fleas, Rats, Rodents, Roaches, Fruit Flies" I think they also repel mosquitoes. What I would give to repel the common fly!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6TTTHB/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #2
    "... Their effectiveness has been highly debated, with some studies suggesting that they don’t work at all ..."

If they worked, why is their effectiveness still being debated?

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Used them in a commercial kitchen to control rats, the rats didn't leave, perhaps different models work, who knows.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Never seen nor heard of one that actually works....
    t
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nor have I.  The only thing that's worked for me getting rid of mice is a bucket trap.  For flies, it's dragonflies.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    edited September 2019 #6
    mvas said:
    "... Their effectiveness has been highly debated, with some studies suggesting that they don’t work at all ..."

If they worked, why is their effectiveness still being debated?

It takes about a month. I would guess most people make a judgement the following day. We have 252 product ratings at 4.8 - almost a perfect rating. 

In addition, walls and doors stop the signal. People may think a single 1600 sq ft unit will do their house. Only if there is one single large room. A device is needed for each room with walls and door. It remains to be seen if an unopened door allows the signal to be effective in adjacent rooms. 

But there are similar products with very low ratings. Clearly a lot of them do not work. People also like to buy the cheapest. Worked for Walmart. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah... the perils of internet “reviews”.  T
  • softdown
    icarus said:
    Ah... the perils of internet “reviews”.  T
    There are a lot of choices and literally thousands of reviews. But I guess our sages trump all that. There is simply no way that any of us wizards could have made an error. No way. 
  • pdh
    pdh Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Let me start by saying that I'm skeptical of their effectiveness. But I had problems this past spring with feral cats urinating on the side and back of my house. In desperation I bought this unit:

Solar powered, with three 800 mAH batteries; motion activated and it emits ultrasonic noise and flashes lights when it detects motion. You can also charge it via a USB port if the solar charger isn't enough. It's intended for small mammals, not insects or other small vermin. I didn't expect it to work, but like I said I was desperate.

Using it over the past summer, I've never seen evidence of an "incident" on the side of the house where I deployed the unit. At first I put it in the back of the house and although there were still new markings on the side of the house, the cats suddenly avoided the back. Then I moved it to the side of the house, and the cats apparently abandoned the side, but still occasionally marked the back of the house. I kept moving it back and forth every few days, and the pattern held. In general, the total number of "incidents" dropped very noticeably, and as I said I never once saw evidence of cat spraying on the side of the house where I had placed the device.

I can't prove cause and effect, and if the unit does repel the dern cats, I don't know whether the lights or the ultrasound are responsible (the cats mostly do their evil deeds at night, so the lights may well be having an effect) but as I said after a full summer of use, I have not seen even one failure to deter.

So why didn't I buy a second unit and deploy one on each side of the house? Because I was so skeptical in the beginning and unfortunately I'm just that stubborn :-) Despite the evidence, I still can't quite believe that this thing actually works; and since I now see so few incidents even on the unprotected side of the house, I didn't spring for another one.

One last thing... I tested the three NiMH batteries with a La Crosse battery charger / tester just a few days ago, and all three are still strong. The weakest of the three came in at 680 mAH, as compared to their 800 mAH markings, so evidently the charger in the unit is reasonably effective. (I never charged it via USB, just made sure to position it where the sun would hit the panel for a couple of hours each day.)

All things considered, if your problem is small mammals (not bugs), this thing may be worth a try.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited September 2019 #10
    There are issues with fake reviews too... Here is a 4.8/5 reviewed ultrasonic repeller with 1,900+ reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Repeller-Electronic-Repellent-Non-Toxic/dp/B07VZFDZYZ

If you look at the reviews, the first dozen or so are along the lines of:

February 27, 2019
    Verified Purchase
    10/10 would recommend.
    53 people found this helpful

March 11, 2019
    Verified Purchase
    Good quality!
    37 people found this helpful

March 17, 2019
    Verified Purchase
    As advertised!
    31 people found this helpful

No obvious connection to product... Just generic.

And a fake review website that checks the reviews:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/ultrasonic-pest-repeller-plug-in-pest-reject-2019-newest-electronic-vermin-control-ultrasonic-repellent-indoor-plug-non-toxic-for-humans-pets-best-indoor-vermin-control-device-6-packs

FAKESPOT REVIEW GRADE: F
    Fakespot Adjusted Rating And on 9/12/19, they had 2,565 reviews, so they have "lost" about 600 reviews in the last 5 days.

There are a large number of fake reviews on Amazon:

https://thehustle.co/a-surprisingly-large-number-of-amazon-reviews-are-scams-the-hustle-investigates

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEQldSi-heE

There are also a lot of fake negative reviews. Likely from competitors or enemies. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I would have guessed that these "Fake" reviews are from people paid (directly and/or other methods, such as groups that get "free stuff" for 5 star reviews, shared reviews among one or more companies--That one company has 17 products that are in the same bucket).

Yes, there have been negative reviews used to damage competitors--But I do not see that here.

-Bill "but what do I know" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset