BMS and set up 16 x lifepo4 Batteries in series.

spacebass
spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Now I have the chance to buy 16 lifepo4 batteries 3.2 volt 100ah how would I go about sorting BMS for them ?  I will be looking in detail on here about the balancing act !  About $600.

Comments

• mvas
    mvas Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2
    spacebass said:
    ... "sorting" BMS for them ?  ...
    What does this mean?

Are you doing a "16S" configuration ?
  • spacebass
    edited August 2019 #3
    mvas said:
    spacebass said:
    What does this mean?

I know I need BMS I found some on my Amazon , looks like I could manage to fit them x4, I am doing 4 x 4 
    Thanks mvas
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    spacebass said:
    mvas said:
    spacebass said:
    What does this mean?

I know I need BMS I found some on my Amazon , looks like I could manage to fit them x4, I am doing 4 x 4 
    Thanks mvas
    You need to choose a nominal voltage first, then select a BMS for that voltage along with the maximum charging and dischargeing currents anticipated. For example if 48V nominal is the choice the 16 cells would be in series so a 16S BMS would be required, the current would be dependent on the charging source and loads.

When using lower voltage the cells would be arranged in parallel then series, this allows the use of a single BMS. Don't think in terms of lead acid topography, lithium is the opposite. There is a lot to learn, it's not overly complicated but it is important to understand the fundementals. Read this link, it describes how to build a bank, the build is for 12V nominal but the theroy is the same 
     http://nordkyndesign.com/assembling-a-lithium-iron-phosphate-marine-house-bank/
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, if you are asking about which BMS, you need to get a battery that has integral BMS or else do lots of reading to understand the failings of Li batteries, their thermal limits and charging characteristics.  You need all that info to plug into a BMS anyway
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• spacebass
    edited August 2019 #6
    Does the reading on a Blueskysea Micro200 auto battery tester mean anything re Lifepo4 cells ?
    Looks like they have October 2014 date stamp followed by M150133.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    spacebass said:
    Does the reading on a Blueskiesea Micro200 auto battery tester mean anything re Lifepo4 cells ?
    Absolutely nothing, you need to study lithium based technology, specifically Lifepo4, if those are the cells you have.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • spacebass
    mcgivor said:
    spacebass said:
    Does the reading on a Blueskiesea Micro200 auto battery tester mean anything re Lifepo4 cells ?
    Absolutely nothing, you need to study lithium based technology, specifically Lifepo4, if those are the cells you have.
    Thank You mcgivor Cancelled !