high altitude water heaters

Options
rnapper
rnapper Registered Users Posts: 3
I have recently purchased a manufactured home that is at 8800 ft. altitude, the tag on the water heater reads ( for installations from 5000 ft. to 7000 ft.) should I replace it with one that is rated for the higher elevation?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The local stores sell appliances with the proper orifice for your altitudes.  Mail order will be problematic as it's unlikely you can get the high altitude version.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options
    interesting, it must be gas/propane powered correct? an electric heater altitude should not matter. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited July 2019 #4
    Options
    You might be able to find a conversion kit (brand name/model):

http://propaneconversionkit.pw/category/modine/

-Bill

A bit of an overview:

https://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.com/high-altitude/
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rnapper
    Options
    Yes this is a propane gas water heater manufactured for a mobile home. I think the altitude rating of 5000ft to 7000ft will work fine at the 8800ft as long as I have a good blue flame and no detectable carbon monoxide emission.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've discussed this before. We have a cabin at 9,000 ft and have had a normal stock propane water heater in it for about 45 years. No special "high altitude" model.

I grew up in Colorado, and have never heard of different water heaters for higher altitude, although I'm sure if someone starts to label them that way they will find someone to buy them. Our cabin is not far from Telluride, which is at about the same elevation and has lots of expensive homes. I'd wager that the vast majority of them use gas water heaters that are identical to those running at sea level.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Horsefly said:
    I've discussed this before. We have a cabin at 9,000 ft and have had a normal stock propane water heater in it for about 45 years. No special "high altitude" model.

I grew up in Colorado, and have never heard of different water heaters for higher altitude, although I'm sure if someone starts to label them that way they will find someone to buy them. Our cabin is not far from Telluride, which is at about the same elevation and has lots of expensive homes. I'd wager that the vast majority of them use gas water heaters that are identical to those running at sea level.
    Have you ever heard of devalued fuel, in high altitude areas the fuel suppliers may take into consideration the reduced oxygen and compensate. Just something I've read somewhere in the past.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • rnapper
    Options
    Yes I have heard of the devalued as and I agree that this water heater will do fine, thanks.
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    Horsefly said:

Have you ever heard of devalued fuel, in high altitude areas the fuel suppliers may take into consideration the reduced oxygen and compensate. Just something I've read somewhere in the past.
    Thanks @mcgiver. I guess that could be. In looking on-line, it seems like devaluing is something that a gas utility does to reduce the flow. I can't tell if it applies to propane. Either way, I think paying extra for a "High Altitude" water heater is a waste. 
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.