Lithium or apparently highest power deep cycle?

Options
2»

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The amount of capacity would be dependent on room size, insulation, temperature, setpoint humidity and ambient temperatures. Currently I run two 9000 BTU units, one from 6 pm to 9 pm in a 48 square meter space with a 30°C setpoint, R12 maylar coated fiberglass above the ceiling, lightweight white block walls with minimal direct sun exposure and ceramic paint. That uses around 1.6 Kwh at this time of year 26-34 °C outdoor significantly more during the April May hot season, it is a Samsung 18.36 SEER. 

The other runs from 9 pm to 5 am, setpoint 27°C in a 12 square meter room everything else the same except outdoor temperature drop. That uses ~ 0.7 Kwh but is a much more efficient Diakin 26 SEER mostly running at 160W after the initial cool  down, often cycling  the compressor after 11 pm. 

Realistically it depends on all factors,  the most important being insulation, and if the walls are in direct sunlight, the efficiency of the unit itself and of course your personal comfort temperature. Previously I ran both on the LFP bank during the hottest period, including the refrigerator they took about 5-6 Kwh or 190-230 Ah @ 26V, now I program an inverter block and transfer to my lead acid bank at midnight to spread the load to an otherwise under utilized bank.

So it's really difficult to guestimate but somewhere in the neighborhood of 300Ah at 24V nominal for lead acid, should cover a couple of hours with a little to spare and keep above 50% DOD. The most important thing is to remove the moisture, 30° at low humidity is vastly more comfortable than 90% humidity, as you may well know.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • spacebass
    spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Options
    Can I plug output of pwm controller into an mppt controller ?
  • spacebass
    spacebass Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Options
    Thank You mcgivor for Aircon input will absorb ! x
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    spacebass said:
    Can I plug output of pwm controller into an mppt controller ?
    No that would not be possible, the PWM needs a battery to power itself as well as reference a nominal voltage. The outputs of both PWM and MPPT  however could be connected to a common battery.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.