New Battery Technologies, New/Unfamiliar Dangers?

2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

With panels so cheap

I am thinking that the inexpensive time for PV may be right around the corner with China and US getting close to signing a new TRADE DEAL..... then watch out as supply tightens...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    A house fire with a fair amount of Li Ion batteries:

https://www.kcra.com/article/15-exposed-to-toxic-fumes-after-responding-to-fairfield-house-fire/27933317
    FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KCRA) —

Fifteen first responders were treated for exposure to toxic fumes after helping battle a house fire over the weekend in Fairfield, officials said Tuesday.

The Fairfield Fire Department said 11 firefighters and four officers reported feeling sick after being exposed to the fumes.

Crews responded to a fire at a home on Ash Court around 5 p.m. Saturday. There, crews found 200 pounds of lithium-ion batteries in the garage, the Fairfield Police Department said. According to officials, the batteries emitted fluoride gas after being exposed to the fire.

That's when the 15 people were exposed to the toxic fumes.

The fire department also said the incident was so toxic that crews had to throw away all the hoses and boots that were exposed while battling the blaze.

Investigators are now trying to determine what kind of business the homeowner was running.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty close to the weight of a Powerwall....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

One thing for sure, seems like everybody feels they are a solar expert now. Having read 1-2 articles and viewed 1-2 youtube videos they are all over saying "nuh uh" when I burst their bubble and tell them that solar power costs significantly more than grid power. "Cheap panels" puts stars in their eyes. Electronics, wiring, labor and bracketing can be overcome with positive thoughts. Batteries? Haven't you heard mate? "Elon Musk is making lithium batteries now!" We have been saved. Burn down the oil refineries! Quit burning coal! We have cheap panels and Elon Musk!

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few "modern" battery stories that I can't discuss in public. The part I can add here is the look on the face of someone who has discovered the new failure mode on the list of of electronics in the battery box. Networking and the battery electronics are a large problem for unattended sites and the issue is something that must be addressed in design.

It is never a good thing to come home to spoiled food or a hot house. Even worse when it is both.

I guess the worst is no house, just some melted aluminum and burnt steel.

Keep us updated Bill on the house story please!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    That fire was around 38 days ago... I have not found anything more/updates searching web so far....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset