Trojan 205AmpHr Equalization

Options
freddieoliveras
freddieoliveras Registered Users Posts: 33 ✭✭
hi, I have never done an equalization to my batteries, I bought it like 8 months ago, Trojan 205AmpHr - 12Batteries @48VDC, I’m using a Outback Flexmax 80.
Is it true that AGM should not be equalize?
if not, been not to technical, what’s the process charge the batteries at high volt for a period of time?

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do not equalize AGM batteries, the high voltage will cause excessive gassing and wreck the batteries. But do log on to Trojan and get their recommended charge schedule.

Rolls-Surette has a very good battery manual "Battery Users Manual" on their website, do get that manual, it's the best "care and feeding" battery book I've seen, and yes the Rolls-Surette AGM section does directly relate to your Trojan AGM batteries.
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trojan specifically say their AGM batteries should never be equalized, charging at higher voltage than recommended can cause the formation of gasses, hydrogen and oxygen, at rates greater than they can be recombined back into water, which is possible  unnder normal conditions. There is a valve which releases any overpressurization to atmosphere, once lost they can not be replaced. This results in the drying of the paste like electrolyte which reduces capacity and premature failure. Attached pdf provides information regarding Trojan batteries.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.