Trojan IND17 Industrial Cell Issue

louismax
louismax Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hello everyone, First post in a while:

I have a 48V Trojan Industrial Bank (IND17-6v x 8 batteries) on a 10,000 watt LG Array -  Outback Radian 7048 hybrid system , has been in use for the last 4 years. No issues.

It appears that one of the HYDROLINK auto-watering valves got stuck approx 3 months ago and was not adding water to 1 cell. (#1 on battery #1) .....Last time visually checked all cells was in Feb. (that will teach me to rely on the auto watering system)  :o

The water was about 2 liters low, Id say about 80% full of water in these giant batteries, cell appears slightly / partially exposed SG is reading very low... All other 23 cells are GOOD SG 1.280 +/- 

My question for the experienced ones, what should be done to attempt a restore, I have refilled the battery with Distilled and started a EQ charge for 3 hours, but now thinking that maybe EQ is not a good idea?

Looking for some advice here. 

Thank you!!!!!!

Outback Radian 7048 Hybrid @ 240V, 2x FLEXMAX 80, 10,000 Watt LG Array, 8x Trojan Industrial IND17-6v @ 48V, Honda 6500 @ 240v LPG Conversion, 2 Wire Auto Start Module. 4 Years OFF GRID  B)

Comments

• louismax
    30 minutes into EQ at 63V the cell in question is now SG 1.175, came up fast. Will keep monitoring. 
    Outback Radian 7048 Hybrid @ 240V, 2x FLEXMAX 80, 10,000 Watt LG Array, 8x Trojan Industrial IND17-6v @ 48V, Honda 6500 @ 240v LPG Conversion, 2 Wire Auto Start Module. 4 Years OFF GRID  B)
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you post a pic of what the battery watering cap looks like ?   Wondering if they may be one mfg selling as many different brands.  I had one stick and flood a cell.  Caught it before overflow, but still - what a pain

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Watch the temperature on the cell and the rest of the bank.... You might have to stop the EQ and restart the next day.

In general, a battery with exposed plates (low water/electrolyte levels) is thought to be very bad news. And, you might have some cash saved to replace that one cell if your recovery process fails.

Do you have the ability to charge that one 6 volt battery at 5% to 2.5% rate of charge? The amount of "overcharging" of the rest of the batteries in the 48 volt battery bank does put them at risk too (running hot, over EQing, plate erosion, positive grid corrosion).

If you can limit your charging to just that one 6 volt battery, it will probably lengthen the life of the rest of your bank (of course the EQing is still hard on the other two cells in that battery).

And very sorry to hear that your auto-watering system missed that one cell. That hurt$.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • louismax
    mike95490 said:
    can you post a pic of what the battery watering cap looks like ?   Wondering if they may be one mfg selling as many different brands.  I had one stick and flood a cell.  Caught it before overflow, but still - what a pain

Mike here is a pic of the watering system/cap. "Flow-Rite"

• louismax
    edited June 2019 #6
    BB. said:
    Watch the temperature on the cell and the rest of the bank.... You might have to stop the EQ and restart the next day.

In general, a battery with exposed plates (low water/electrolyte levels) is thought to be very bad news. And, you might have some cash saved to replace that one cell if your recovery process fails.

Do you have the ability to charge that one 6 volt battery at 5% to 2.5% rate of charge? The amount of "overcharging" of the rest of the batteries in the 48 volt battery bank does put them at risk too (running hot, over EQing, plate erosion, positive grid corrosion).

If you can limit your charging to just that one 6 volt battery, it will probably lengthen the life of the rest of your bank (of course the EQing is still hard on the other two cells in that battery).

And very sorry to hear that your auto-watering system missed that one cell. That hurt$.

-Bill
    Good Catch Bill, I went out to check the temp and noticed this error "Batt Too Hot" the charge controllers automatically shut down, finally put to good use the temp sensor.  I shut down the entire system and will let the batteries cool down for a few hours. The EQ process completed 3 Hours, everything seems OK. 

Just tested SG is almost perfect on the #1 cell in question, will keep an eye on it, These batteries are supposed to be built for abuse so perhaps that cell might survive. 

In regards to your other question - I do not have the ability to charge @ 6v. 

Thanks for the input here, appreciated. 

• MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    How hot was "Too Hot"?
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • louismax
    At the end of the EQ temp sensor recorded 52C which is about 125F.  Looks like CC's shut down at 50C.

Normal operations are about 85F-95F.

We are in a tropical climate so, its usually about 5F over the ambient temp. Just finished a full absorb cycle they are 102F, outside temp is about 96F today. 

I have attached a backup sensor to the battery and right on the cell in question for some additional monitoring. It looks to be in line with the other sensor.

• louismax
    edited June 2019 #9
    A little update - things seem to be normalized temps are holding around 33-36c @ 10am full charge.