Repurposing 55" tall gas cyclinder?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

Last pressure test was 2009 - due for a pressure test. That is not the issue. The tank had helium and is still equipped to fill helium balloons - if it had pressure. Costs at least 125 for pressure test and helium.

i bought it thinking it would be good for surface scuba diving from a boat. Turns out that is not as easy as hoped. Each gas requires a different valve for one thing. may not be possible to get a 3000 psi scuba tank hydro test done - don't know.

looks like this tank; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helium-tank-300-cf/254185368453?hash=item3b2ea0eb85:g:CMsAAOSwanhbkqWQ

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't do it.   Internal tank coatings can leach into high pressure air and do bad things to your lungs. Get a SCUBA tank
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    mike95490 said:
    Don't do it.   Internal tank coatings can leach into high pressure air and do bad things to your lungs. Get a SCUBA tank.

Thanks for the heads up. Got a dozen scuba tanks. They run out of air while I'm getting started. Endurance is decent here - though I have not dived in awhile. The thought of a monster tank strapped to my 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What about a surface air compressor for tethered diving ("hookah system"?):

https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Hookah-Systems.html

Of course, there are lots of options (even battery powered?) and issues (air intake vs engine exhaust, certifications that may be required for operator, etc.)--But diving with a line back to the surface vs hauling a big old air tank...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    BB. said:

Of course, there are lots of options (even battery powered?) and issues (air intake vs engine exhaust, certifications that may be required for operator, etc.)--But diving with a line back to the surface vs hauling a big old air tank...

-Bill
    Hookah's are logical for surface diving. I got this tank in good condition for $35 and couldn't resist. Still not over. At the worst I can make a LOT of helium balloons if I invest another ~$135 or so. 

What can I do with helium balloons? Now that is a good question. There sure were fun when I was young. 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    BB. said:

-Bill
    Hookah's are logical for surface diving. I got this tank in good condition for $35 and couldn't resist. Still not over. At the worst I can make a LOT of helium balloons if I invest another ~$135 or so. 

What can I do with helium balloons? Now that is a good question. There sure were fun when I was young. 
    Got a lawn chair and a bb gun?  B)

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC, there have been periodic shortages of helium recently, so the bb gun might be a pretty expensive way to pass time!
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I've been diving for awhile and got my Diving Certificate in Hawaii. The course was pretty hard compared to the ones in Honolulu but I wanted to be in that club. To get your tanks charged in Hawaii you needed a certificate and dated test on the tank. Most of the training was done off Ewa Beach where diving was pretty good at the reef. We always had to write a report with hours of diving and depth from the dive chart. multiple dives during a day could possibly get you a trip to the decompression chamber if you weren't careful. Nitrogen build up in your blood. Bahia diving is Ok and mostly shallow. The locals still use the old fashion one man in the boat hand cranking the compressor and the diver with the hose. Never dive alone is the key to staying alive in any situation.