Using Generator Support With The Schneider Conext XW+6848 Inverter

Options
neutronspin
neutronspin Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

New install on the XW+ inverter and want to do generator testing. What settings are needed to do the test? I suppose enabling the setting "Generator Support Enable" and setting the Generator Support amps are necessary but are there any other settings I may have missed? Right now the inverter is setup in Grid Support mode. What is the procedure for putting the generator online without an AGS doing it manually? Or do I need an AGS box to manually start and test the generator? This system uses an electric start push-button generator to start the unit. Thanks....

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The default setting for generator input is 140 amps, which will stall anything but the biggest generator.  There are two issues here, what the generator can output, and what the XW will qualify.  You'll need to go into the system control panel settings and lower the max charge rate to some initially low setting, say 15-20%.  As power is brought in, the XW looks at the voltage/frequency/stability, and decides whether or not the generator power is "qualified" for use by the XW.  I have a 6.5kw AC-Delco, and my XW won't qualify more then about 36% from it.  That's 36% of 140 amps, which = 50amps, as much as I'd want to go into my batteries.  When I want to charge my batteries I use 32%, which is about right for L-16s.  You can tell by the sound of the generator if the XW has dropped it.  The sound will drop from its "loaded" sound to the sound of it idling.
    System 1) 15 Renogy 300w + 4 250W Astronergy panels,  Midnight 200 CC, 8 Trojan L16 bat., Schneider XW6848 NA inverter, AC-Delco 6000w gen.
    System 2) 8 YingLi 250W panels, Midnight 200CC, three 8V Rolls batteries, Schneider Conext 4024 inverter (workshop)
  • neutronspin
    Options
    MichaelK said:
    The default setting for generator input is 140 amps, which will stall anything but the biggest generator.  There are two issues here, what the generator can output, and what the XW will qualify.  You'll need to go into the system control panel settings and lower the max charge rate to some initially low setting, say 15-20%.  As power is brought in, the XW looks at the voltage/frequency/stability, and decides whether or not the generator power is "qualified" for use by the XW.  I have a 6.5kw AC-Delco, and my XW won't qualify more then about 36% from it.  That's 36% of 140 amps, which = 50amps, as much as I'd want to go into my batteries.  When I want to charge my batteries I use 32%, which is about right for L-16s.  You can tell by the sound of the generator if the XW has dropped it.  The sound will drop from its "loaded" sound to the sound of it idling.
    Thanks...will try it and see if it works.  I think I will start the Amps at 50 which is about the same KW rating as your generator.  My question is do I have to kill the Grid input to make the Inverter use the generator or does it automatically pick up the generator input once it qualifies the generator output.  I am running the inverter in Grid Assist mode.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No grid here, but I have my genset settings as follows:

• Generator Support Enable Enabled
    • Generator Support amps 13.5 A (each breaker is only @ 120V so both will add, this setting = a limit internally  derated to 2515w)
    • Generator Support PLUS Enabled 

• Gen 1 settings
    • ST5 on lister 6/1
    • AC2 Breaker Size 18.5
    • Generator Support amps 13.5

• Backup generator settings (using a 115lb autotransformer to get 240VAC)
    •  Honda EU2000i spec  13A   1600w cont, 2kw 30 min
    • AC2 Breaker Size 9.0
    • Generator Support amps 5.0
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• neutronspin
    Options
    mike95490 said:
    No grid here, but I have my genset settings as follows:

• Generator Support Enable Enabled
    • Generator Support amps 13.5 A (each breaker is only @ 120V so both will add, this setting = a limit internally  derated to 2515w)
    • Generator Support PLUS Enabled 

• Gen 1 settings
    • ST5 on lister 6/1
    • AC2 Breaker Size 18.5
    • Generator Support amps 13.5

• Backup generator settings (using a 115lb autotransformer to get 240VAC)
    •  Honda EU2000i spec  13A   1600w cont, 2kw 30 min
    • AC2 Breaker Size 9.0
    • Generator Support amps 5.0
    Thanks Mike....much appreciated.....