Driving to Mexico to look for land?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭

Taking a rabies vaccinated dog with me. Anything I need to know?

Interested in being close to the Sea of Cortez. Living there several months/year. Some areas offer sailing, diving, fishing, and hard core 4 wheeling.

Why post here? This is literally the only "nice internet board" that I know of. Enough on that.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Check out San Carlos, Sonora.

Great little town on the Sea of Cortez.

We stopped there to spend the night on our way to Mazatlan. Wound up staying for almost a month.

• PNW_Steve

Forgot to mention the diving, fishing, sailing, hiking and 4wheeling.

• softdown
    edited April 2019 #4

Any problems with my dog at the border? Guessing my passport and proof of insurance would be wise.

Turns out that I have been there to evaluate an ~ 45' fishing boat. Great area in so many respects. Though I currently favor being much closer to the US - in the mountainous region on the north side of the Sea of Cortez. 4 wheeling is my main thing. Followed by diving - all I need is warm, clear water for that. Plenty of interesting things in the water.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • PNW_Steve

Have you experienced the diving in Belize?

Best I have found so far.

• PNW_Steve

I missed your dog question.

You will need a health certificate from your vet. IIRC: It has to be dated less than two weeks prior to your entry into Mexico.

• PNW_Steve
  • softdown

No I have not. It is quite famous. I like to make statements - one of them is not flying unless I have to. Being treated like a terrorist...why pay for that experience.

If people had spine the government would not be able to herd us like cattle. Or sheep.

• softdown

How much is a health certificate for a dog - normally? I called my vet as they were closing - got hung up on. Not impressive.

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019 #10

You technically need a health cert. for your dog. That being said myself and everyone I know have never been asked to show one in over 20 years of traveling to Baja. Maybe different crossing into mainland Mexico.

There's plenty of off roading to be done in Northern Baja, extreme, high speed desert, rock crawling. Diving on the other hand might leave you wanting more. The whole northern third is sandy bottom thanks to, what would become the Grand Canyon, not being able to withstand the effects of flowing water. 😀

I understand Cabo Pulmo in the Southern Sea of Cortez is the only Coral reef in Baja and is supposed to be really cool.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown

I'd hate to drive down with vacation in mind and be turned away. I'll get the certificate and play it safe - unless I have a 98% chance of getting through.

Makes sense on the diving. Not much trouble to drive a few hundred miles for diving. For four wheeling - my preference is closer to 20 miles. The best 4 wheel drives aren't all that great for the open road. I like to 4WD several times/week when not overly distracted by very pressing concerns.

How about sailing? I have a deep keeled 26' S2 sailboat that I'd like to use. It is a bit big for Colorado I think. Or should I say that Colorado doesn't have very good sailing compared to others. This is a pretty dry state really.

I'll probably enter at Mexicali after checking on my land a bit north of Nogales.

• softdown

Looking at a map it appears that one might be able to enter at San Luis Rio Colorado: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mexico+map&t=opera&ia=maps&iaxm=maps

That would be great. I don't like big cities one bit.

• littleharbor2

San Luis Rio Colorado would be a great, easy way to enter. Take the 2/2D to Mex5 and head south from there. Never anywhere close to a big city.

Nice thing about our area, and probably most places in Baja is you can turn off the highway and you're wheelin'. Plenty of rocks right across the desert plain in the foothills 5 -10 miles away.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a quick blurb:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/travel-to-mexico-with-your-pet-1588998

And form (if not typed in English and Spanish on Vet's letterhead):

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

And there is alway the questions about bringing you companion back:

Bringing your pet back with you to the United States? Depending on how long you have been in Mexico, you may want to get a health certificate (Certificado Zoosanitario) from a licensed Mexican veterinarian, to present when you enter your home country.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html

You don't want to put him in a quarantine kennel for multiple weeks on the way back.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown

I think this vet cert. of health idea is generally a bad idea. Rabies vaccination? Hard to argue with that but a health certificate? Dogs are far healthier than humans and their pathogens are rarely transferable to humans. Unlike human pathogens may be.

There is a country in Central America that does not allow dogs period.

Bad people are 10,000 times the problem that bad dogs are. Do they check records of people? I doubt it.

• softdown

Initially my trips will be several days at a time. It may take quite awhile to find a truly unique opportunity. It will probably not be within eyesight of others. Humans almost always limit the freedom of others. Plus their noise pollution. I would mention theft and vandalism but being remote can accentuate that threat. A concrete building with bars over the windows becomes an option - a necessity at times.

This guy out hermits almost everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-4NxJRxNQ

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

According to CDC, Mexico is a low risk country for Rabies, and a certificate is not needed to bring Fido back into the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dog-origin.html

I don't know--But like many government regulations, the process is the punishment.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Baja is a free trade zone, it's unlike mainland Mexico where the free zone extends to around 35Km from the border, Baja peninsula is around 16000Km from north to south, it is a protected zone, with different rules, in all honesty it's a playground for North American visitors. Have done both west and east trips by motorcycle and car over the course of 15 years going to Guatemala, and further south, it was never dangerous but Baja seemed different somehow, more relaxed, catering to visitors, the closer to the border the more cutthroat however. Just my experience others may differ. My experience may be dated, thought I should add that.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown

^^^ I think northern Mexico has changed a lot. I didn't feel like I was in Mexico proper until south of San Carlos. As opposed to when I drove a Fiat to Acapulco in 1981. Or when my sister and her best friend hitch hiked to Central America then smuggled several parrots across the border by getting them drunk and hiding them in their backpacks in the halcyon 70's.

Back when there were simply too many fun loving youth for the government to put its collective boots on their necks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KEhWTnWvE

The area just north of the Sea of Cortex is notoriously rough and ready with very difficult roads. Very difficult. I hope it remains that way.

• softdown
    edited April 2019 #20

Vet wants $55 for the certificate. Nuts for riding around with my dog who will get out and pee periodically. Thinking I might just chance it - wit a couple options in mind:

1) Get a local vet cert. if need be. I mean - how hard can that be? Vets are everywhere. I imagine border vets are used to it though they might charge a lot more.

2) Leave him at a "dog hotel" for a few days.

3) Drive over to where littleharbor2 has had better luck. Always wanted to see the Baja anyway. Thinking littleharbor2 likely has Baja plates - which would assuredly help.

This strikes me as a valid requirement for a much, much longer stay. Riding around for awhile though?

• littleharbor2

No Calif plates here. I try to get down there once a month or better for 2 - 3 weeks at a time. The most common Ex Pat plates in Baja are South Dakota plates. South Dakota is all good with anybody who will pay the 25 or 50 dollars, (something cheap anyway) a year for their plates, knowing they are full timing in Mexico.

As mentioned before, Never have the dogs drawn any attention. Though they are always visible. The only paperwork we carry is very old rabies docs.

BTW, heading across the border in the morning. Spending the night in El Centro...

• softdown

You do Mexicali or Tijuana?

• littleharbor2

Mexicali East. The "New Border"

• softdown
  • softdown
    edited April 2019 #25

Couple challenges exist in the proposed area:

1) Appears to be exceedingly hot. Yuma, AZ and Mexicali are already into the 100F's.

2) The northern part of the Sea of Cortez appears to all be designated State Park.

Unless I can sequester in a mountainous region, the climate appears to make the area a serious challenge.

It was a few years ago but my understanding of the region is that it was still untamed. With roads so rough that only a serious 4WD could traverse some areas. Have things changed recently? What I mean by change is that civilians are no longer allowed any freedom in the area? If captured by governmental enterprises, there is no freedom except to adhere to the signs plastered every few seconds. I remember going to Rocky Mountain State Park and being assailed with so many restrictive signs and warnings that I chose to photograph the multitudinous threats instead of the wildlife. Was an expensive enterprise in the days of film.