Anyone using a Magnum MS4024? 120volt only? Fool or folly I picked up a used one...

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone using a Magnum MS 4024?

I had been looking at them 7-8 years ago while setting up my new home system. I committed to buying this one from a known working system for $750 with the remote monitor. Also come with the dedicated E-Panel, while I don't need the E-Panel, I think it's the same one as my Lite E-Panel and i might be able to just hang the door with inverter on mine!

So my question is, He's describing it as having 2 hot in phase line out. I understood that it wasn't a split phase 240, but figured it would have a single line out. I currently have 10 gauge wiring 2 + ground, running from my inverter/mains to my sub panel which use to be the main panel that's in my mobile home. Do I need to run another hot line out to my sub panel and split the wiring (currently the box has a jumper between what would be the 2 phases.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭

Photos hit,

gotta love that Apple autoslaughtermyspelling,

Photowhit,

I am using a Manumission MS4024, almost the same one that you have. The Magnums have a two pole transfer relay and on the 120 volt only units these are wired in parallel to increase capacity. Way old ones didn't but yours is one of the ones which will have a line 1 and line 2 input and output. The relay contacts are rated at 30 amps per pole so to get full pass through capacity wire both inputs togather and both outputs togather. Mine is the MS4024AE model which is split phase 120/240 so wired as such. I just installed a new MS2024 and it too had the same L1-L2 wiring scheme. Bit different than other manufacturers but they have to stock only one transfer relay.

I paid $500 for mine then $188 for the remote so about the same price. I've had no problems with it at all. It's a bit slow to correct voltage under load but others have noted that as well.

Happy with it but when Rosie the Inverter is released I will be getting one.

david

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Photowhit

Thanks, hate to run another wire, though I guess 10 gauge is pushing the limits.

Not sure what I could have gotten it for, They were asking $1200 with a Flexmax 80. I figured about half of new. It will be in use until my 24 volt forklift dies, then I'm likely to replace it with a 48 volt of some type. The extra E-panel brings my stock pile up to 3, with just the 1 in use. Really need to market a couple. I hope the door is the same as the Epanel lite(they share the same label), then I can just hang the inverter and door on my Epanel and wire it up. I moved a lot of 'furniture' around in my EPanel to make it work for all the DC breakers for 3 arrays and charge controllers and an extra inverter. It would be a pain to do it all over again.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Tecnodave

It's not the wire that takes the beating it's the transfer relay. When I wired in the MS2024 I used two wires on input and output to take the switching stress off the relay. Even though this was only a 2kw inverter. MagnsSine units have had transfer relay failures in some units. I've read that in several posts. I was not looking for split phase but it has worked out well. If you want to part with an epanel then let me know. I'm not mounted on a epanel and use a MidNite DC breaker panel...the MNDC-15.....15 MNDC breakers plus one large inverter breaker 175-250 amps.....sets up more like an AC panel with all the breakers on the front.

David

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Photowhit

@Tecnodave

Where are you located, These are a pain to ship, but I'm in Missouri and headed to Florida in a month or so.

• Tecnodave

I'm in Santa Cruz County, California, very southern part...Watsonville....Strawberry capital of the world. Shipping might be too expensive.