Multiple Wind Turbine (3 Phase) to load 10kw 240V Home

zeak
zeak Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hai... I need some solution... I'm not a electrical engineering... so, there are 5 unit of 3 phase wind turbine, with rate output up to 2Kw, 48V each... and I need to produce current load for home about 7Kw to 9Kw, 240V,,, so, how to wiring from 5 unit of wind turbine to home current...

1. Serial - from 3 phase wind turbine to rectifier and conneting 5 unit rectifier with serial wiring to DC-AC Inverter Dump Load, and connecting to Home load.
  2. from 3 Phase wind turbine connecting to AC-DC-AC Inverter Dump Load.
  3. Or, from 3 Phase wind turbine to rectifier and connecting 5 unit with parallel wiring to DC-AC Inverter

Sorry for my english and thank you.

Comments

• zeak
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, you will need a battery after the rectifiers, to stabilize the power so the inverter can use it

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• zeak

thank you .. what if not using the batteries.. can we use another way...

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is the wind is not a constant source of energy, there needs to be something ro bridge the periods when the wind is not capable of supporting the loads, this is one of the main reasons a battery is needed. This is one of the main problems with wind and solar, the storage of energy to bridge the periods of no production. Without some sort of storage, as soon as the loads exceed production the inverter will fault, likely shutting down.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • zeak

ok.. thanks... how to wiring for supporting a 10kw 240V battery

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Zeak,

Guessing you are somewhere around George Town Malaysia??? ...

In general, #1 will not work. You need to control each wind turbine separately (some sort of "black box" that monitors RPM, voltage, and current for an individual turbine).

The controller "adjusts" the current it draws (higher current, lower RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) and voltage; lower current, higher RPM and voltage). It is looking to "solve" the equation Pmax-power=Voltage-max-power * Current-max-power.

And, the controller generally adjusts the current to control RPM (an unloaded horizontal axis wind turbine can easily overspeed and self destruct in moderate wind).

Also, the controller (may) have the ability to draw a "dead short" on the turbine to shut it down for service or in high wind.

#2 will not work either--Again, each turbine needs its own controller.

#3 could work--Each controller monitors/runs "its own turbine".

Now--We really need to get back to better understanding your energy needs/usage. In general, wind turbines need a constant load to prevent them from overspeed and self destructing. Either a constant load (like a water pump) or a "fixed load" like a battery bank with a "dump load" (typically an electric heating element/unit that turns on when the battery is "full")--To keep the turbine under control.

As our friends above said, wind power is highly variable and you either need to accept the variability (water pumping is a great variable load--When light wind, the pump turns at low RPM, and when the wind is heavy, the pump turns at high speed).

But, for running a turbine directly to a home (lights, refrigerator, computer, etc.)--Not really a very good energy source.

While it is possible to use AC Utility Power as your "load" (think of the AC utility grid as a "giant" AC battery bank--It holds 240 VAC and 50 Hz no matter if you are drawing power, or feeding power backwards through your utility meter, to "charge" the "grid")--But in your case, you are "off the grid" (not utility power)?

So--In your case--If you need "stable power" (when the wind is not blowing, sun is not shining), you generally would use a large bank of batteries to supply your home's energy. And when the wind blows, or the sun shines, your energy sources both supply your loads and charge the battery bank at the same time.

And to be honest--Personally, I do not recommend wind power as your primary source of energy... For most people, there is simply not enough wind when they need the energy--And Wind turbines, while not very expensive, the 10+ Meter tall tower to support the turbine, the concrete foundation, the electronics, and equipment needed to install and service the turbine (once a year +/-), generally make wind turbines the sort of thing you install after you 1) battery bank, 2) backup diesel genest, 3) solar panels, and 4) wind turbine(s) for use during poor weather.

Assuming that you are somewhere in Malaysia (or similar) with good weather/sunlight/no major shading, I would highly suggest that you look at solar panels + battery bank + AC inverter to supply your power.

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Using the above link, it appears that you may get a minimum (long term average) of ~4.5 to 5.0+ hours of sun per day. That is really good for solar power (and solar power is usually much more predictable than periods of high wind).

If you can live with "variable" amounts of energy (lots in the middle of the day, none at night)--Such as Water Pumping--Then solar panels + VFDs (variable frequency drives and 3 phase motors) has been very popular in the last few years. Not using a battery bank saves lots of money and maintenance costs (new batteries every 3-5 years in hot climates).

Please note that a 10 kWatt Wind or Solar power system is not "small". You are approaching the point where you "should" hire a company that has successfully installed systems similar to what you need (check references--There are folks out there with a good sales pitch, but poor results).

Anyway, I will stop here... Hopefully you can tell us more about your (approximate) location and details about your energy needs.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zeak

my 5 unit low rpm turbine are using flow water, and get moderate wattage about 1.9kw to 2.2kw each... and i don't know, what another equipment and how to connecting from turbine to home.. the home wattage usage about 3kw - 8.5kw...

thanks...

• BB.

Ok... Different.

As a start, here is person that pretty much built his own home made hydroelectric power plant in Chile (south America):

If you run your turbines to a battery bank--That will give you a "base load" that can help keep the turbines at roughly the correct RPM. And you can use a dump load (electric heater) and some automatic valving to keep the turbines at the correct RPM.

The other is to go direct to an AC generator (phasing 2 or more gensets in parallel) is certainly possible--But if you are OK with battery bank+AC inverter, dump loads, and/or (automatic) frequency control--It would probably be easier.

I am going to stop here--Simply because I do not know what is done in the "small hydro" installations (I live in California where we have 5 years of drought and 3 years of rain--And heavily controlled waterways/water rights which make small hydro pretty difficult). Add the present regulations for Dams--That is a pretty tough road to follow here.

A 10 kWatt off grid power system is not small... If you need that much energy and have enough water flow to do that--Wonderful.

Have you looked at conservation and see if you can reduce your energy needs (and the cost of the system needed to generate that much energy)?

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zeak

can do like this???

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The battery voltage should be a common nominal value to work with commonly available equipment, inverters charge controllers and so forth, 48V is common, not sure what is meant by lithium batteries 48V each. The inverter would provide 240VAC front 48VDC , if there is grid involved, a transfer switch would be needed, either external, or one within the inverter itself, there are battery based grid interactive inverters as well, which could work, It really depends on the equipment of choice. You are however getting closer to what may be required, the capacity of the battery is an important factor to determine how long it could support the loads in the absence of wind.

Grid power was not mentioned before, is the grid available?, this is important because it may be possible to use the grid as a battery, if local utility allows such a connection.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to make a point about post #6... You cannot place wind turbine in series (unless they are designed for this--And while it is possible, I do not know of anyone who has designed/manufactured any--But I am certainly no Wind Turbine expert--I really do not no anything about the market for turbines).

Placing wind turbines in series would not be stable. Each turbine will generate its own voltage/current/frequency based on its conditions... Placing batteries (or solar panels) in series assumes that each unit (cell/battery/panel) is producing electricity in near identical voltage and current (and no frequency issues with DC).

-Bill