Off Grid Inverter Length of Life

Options
Surfpath
Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

I recently read an opinion on this forum that said:

"the life expectancy of a decent (Outback/Schneider/etc) inverter is ~10years (less in hot ambient temps, more in cool)." I have heard that 10 year rule before (something along the lines of 'anything more is a gift').

Obviously there are several variables involved with inverter life, but as my gear is getting to the 7 year mark (in warm temps), and I am facing a potential battery bank change this year, I worry about another potential gear change ahead of me. Do I have to start saving again for more change??

What do others feel is a reasonable 'life length' for an inverter. I have outback gear, is there anybody that has gone over 15/20 years with their inverter? Are some models more 'bullet proof' than others?

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do think some inverters are more bullet proof than others, I have a Prosine 1800 that I've mostly heard good things about, it's 17 years old, It was pretty much New-Old Stock when I bought it in 2005, The fan went out on it and I replaced it at about 12 years. When the fan was out, once the inverter would have a load of 4-500 watts it would automatically shut down. It, like all my inverters live outside, in a small ish 20 cubic feet, power center, exposed to high humidity and temps from -15 to 100. It might be a little better setup to do that as it has a coating over the electronics. Often sold as an inverter for boating.

Oddly the ProSine 2500 and 3000 appear to me to be short lived. Often hearing about them dying after 7-10 years.

ExelTech's report a mean failure rate of 20 years. Not sure how accurate that is...

Hear good things about Outback as well.

I wouldn't 'expect' an inverter to fail before 10 years, but after 10 years I wouldn't be disappointed. Since my inverter is a bit small for my new home, I have an inverter I use for yard work, an Exeltech 1100. Having a spare gives me some relief from worry if my main inverter goes down. Never a bad idea to have a spare of some sort, but electronic age from birth, something to consider...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Trace DR1524 installed 1994. Still working flawlessly 26 years later.

Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Saggys
    Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options

Trace PS 2512 manufactured 2002, still working on the weekends.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I use 10+ years for inverter (and charge controller) estimated life. Basically used when figuring out how much it costs to build and maintain your system... And I highly suggest that you have the money to replace your inverter after 10 years in your savings account)--I hate unexpected costs and avoid loans/credit cards for daily living (personal choice/suggestion).

And once modern electronics get much beyond 5-10 years of life, finding boards and components to fix your devices--Gets very difficult.

Electronics are changing so quickly, that getting, what used to be common, parts 10 years later can be near impossible and/or very expensive. And things like Firmware, adjustments, testing, and other things that techs/mfg. "knew" 5-10 years ago--No longer supported today.

Running things "cool" (every 10C reduction in temperature is a ~2x extension in life) and avoiding lots of thermal cycling (i.e, running something cold at night, and near max temperature during the day/hot room with sunlight on unit, etc.).

In the 'olden days', I would run disk drives in an environmental chamber for evaluation. (min max temps, 2x cycles per day), and in 2 weeks, a majority of the disks drives would fail. If they did not fail in 2 weeks, then they were well designed and manufactured.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shockman
    shockman Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options

Trace 2012 from mid 80's inherited with cabin/lake house purchase 8 yrs ago. MSW and AM radio buzzs and ceiling fan is noisy, thought I should replace it several times but after reading this thread I think I'll wait till it gives up. LOL Ya know the old saying "they don't make em like they used to"

4x240w panels,Classic 150 CC, 4x380AHR L16's, antique Trace 12V inverter
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dynamote Brutus from the '80's This old guy is the first high/low frequency inverter. The basis for the design of the MagnaSine and Outback designs. Still in use this 3200 watt inverter has a whopping 19,200 watt surge capacity and will start and run a 2 hp 120 volt water pump! Twice the surge capability of my MagnaSine MS-4024.

I have two of these both in mint condition! Both still operational! Weighs 65 pounds!

david

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then there are unforseen circumstances which can dramatically reduce lifespan, had a Samlex 2000W, at about 9 monts a gecko crawled in got smoked along with half the inverter which was actually two stacked 1000W, removed the bad half continued with the remainder. About 6 months later lightning took out the other half, so without protection who knows, baring these types of problems, most should expect longer. In the fire alarm business 10 years is the replacement life, many will exceed this but budgeting for 10 years is good practice.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When it comes to Trace/Xantrex products That old saying is spot on. Probably explains why their used equipment still commands such a high price.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

XW system from Schneider out in a metal shed south of Tucson 24/7 since 2006. Nothing done to it but changing batteries every 5 years. It was xantrex then but the design is sound still, and has been improved with even better components.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Options

Xantrex GT 3.0 installed in 2007. Stopped working 2017.

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K