Inverter refrigerator logging results

mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Above is the energy usage for my Panasonic inverter refrigerator freezer over the course of February, lowest day 0.95Kw, highest 1.42Kw, average 1.214Kw per day. The results mirror the ambient temperatures experienced, the last 8 days have been fairly warm 34°C indoors, the energy guide figure (Thailand ) stated 403Kw per annum which is pretty close using the numbers for February would indicate 443Kw, the actual annual useage may be less due to this being a warmer than average month.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting . Is the energy star rating country specific .. or is it tested at say 20 degrees .

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

Energy Star is an USA standard. If I recall correctly, refrigerators/freezers are tested at 95F / 35C with a "standard" fill and # of door openings per day...

https://www.energystar.gov/

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor

Both Thailand ant the US. Use 32+/- 0.6 °C, there are minor differences in other criteria such as humidity air circulation etcetera, other markets use different temperatures.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭

My interpretation of inverter refrigerators is that the surge is much, much lower - as in almost non-existent. But the total energy usage is similar. Am I wrong?

When I see inverter fridges for sale at Costco - they are very large and very expensive. I have no experience on this - just seeking information. McGivor is showing low energy usage but I don't see a fridge size or temp setting.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mcgivor

The size is a regular mid size, by North American standards, with a draw type bottom freezer,, it was an obsolete model sold cheap ~US$300, temperature settings 4°C refrigerator, -18°C freezer. Model number Panasonic MR-BW 415 VNTH.

• softdown

Thanks - cost savings vs a similar sized energy star fridge without the inverter? All I seem to recall is the surge current is much, much lower.

The huge surge current of old (1990s), large fridges prevents 1500 watt inverters from running the fridge - in the case I witnessed.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • petertearai

Looking in the appliance store i don't see a non inverter fridge that has less power consumption than the inverter ones . Some come close.

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • mcgivor
    edited March 2019 #9

The consumption figures are a guide to compare different models, there is a target temperature, say for example 4°C, the non inverter type may reach 5° before the thermostat responds cooling to 3° before turning off. This hunting of setpoint is where the inverter type can regulate the temperature more accurately, by varying the compressor speed to suit demand, resulting in a more stable temperature. The aggregate run time may be more but the consumption is less, kind of like stop and go traffic consumes more fuel in automotive applications than a steady cruising speed. The start of the compressor in a non inverter type is akin to doing a burn out after every stop, as opposed to feathering the throttle, again using automotive similes, which is what makes them friendly to inverters.

• softdown

^^ A smaller compressor would also offer some of the "advantages" that inverter compressors offer. Perhaps better yet - two smaller compressors. That is what mine has. Two 300 watt compressors.

McGivors temp settings are significantly higher than some like to use though still in the popular range. I've seen a number that use 33F for "cold beer" etc. That would be 1C. 4C is 39F.

Clearly inverter fridges are better for solar applications. But are they worth the extra costs when purchased at normal prices? The ones I see are insanely expensive though Costco caters to a wealthier group than most.

• petertearai

This is the samsung i have .. not bad compared to other fridges. The LG one i have is bigger and uses less power . And more costly .

• mcgivor

The temperatures stated are those used by energy guide to evaluate useage, which corresponds to food safety requirements.

The price is determined largely on supply, which it would appear in the USA, is limited to just a few manufacturers usually on higher end units. Perhaps the low cost of energy limits the demand, thus the supply, the vast majority of refrigerators larger than bar size in Thailand are inverter, making them comparable in price to non inverter.

• softdown

Seems to be mostly Samsung and LG units. Big ones at Costco. Much as we all like big fridges, they are an expensive luxury for the off grid crowd. Perhaps they will become more mainstream. Wasn't too long ago that posters were excited about newish inverter fridges.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, look at Home Depot and Lowes in both brands. They have 22 cu ft units @1.5K$ that go on sale 4 times a year for a grand. The key is to make sure they say linear compressor and will usually have a 10 year warranty on them. They do not use much less energy than a standard 22 cu ft Maytag but no surge and your friend with the tank top will really them🤨

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• stmoloud
    stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited March 2019 #15

All Samsung offerings in NZ are inverter. So price wise they have to be competitive against other manufacturers. IMO are the solar choice, others too it appears, hence seeing the exorbitant RV type 3-way fridges going the way of the dinosaurs.

Not sure though the running requirements. Mine runs off 600 watt PSW inverter. Perhaps an expert can elucidate what the minimum requirements might be for instance would they run off anything other than PSW and how low you could practically go?

760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter. 
  • mcgivor

In North America there are limited manufacturers in the inverter refrigerator market , missing are Toshiba, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Sharp, Haier, Beko, perhaps Bosch and AEG as well, there may be more I've missed. For this reason they can chare a premium, which it appears they do, competition will level the playing field, if they ever allow the competition to enter the market. Perhaps North American manufacturers will rebrand other manufacturers products, much like they do with front loading washing machines, economy cars and such.

• Dave Angelini

Service is the main reason that the largest market in the world does not have many those brands IMO. Some of the brands like GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, & Amana own this market because they were here first and build just as good of a product and in some ways far better.

Samsung had to take back a whole series of refrigerators in California because no-one was licensed to go in the closed loops of their compressors.

E-mail [email protected]

• Dave Angelini

As for energy use my 22 cubic foot maytag uses about the same energy as the Samsung here and is 7 cubic feet larger. I do like the idea that there is no surge and when this unit dies I will probably go to Home Depot and have them send an LG.

E-mail [email protected]

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe if inverter fridges got to be a thing in the US, they'd be tarriffed up on national security grounds ;-)

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini

Maybe Canada might charge a tariff🙂

E-mail [email protected]

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if they're made by dairy farmers :-)

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter