New Rich Text Editor in Beta (from our forum software supplier "Vanilla")

Comments

• Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭

BB, or anyone who can help

I have never used or loaded java script on ipad. never heard it mentioned as per iOS .

where is the gear wheel that you mention, nothing like that on my screen

on lenovo now...ipad log in , read posts but no posting , no edit . pressing button comment takes me to top, leaves blank,pressing edit produces nothing, button does depress but does not edit ??

used ipad global search key word java script, nothing found

there are no programming languages on ipad,..none..that is done on XP PRO 64 bit tower system,

david

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave

BB,

test edit from lenovo

2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • Tecnodave

BB

cannot edit from lenovo....winders 7 home premium 64 bit

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

Could this be my ISP? at times they are overloaded, and is difficuclt to get in?

in one test of my access speed i was watching youtube as a stress test of upload/download speed 20 minutes video, no pauses, switch to forum, no joy..no posting, edit (from ipad)

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

i just googled "java script on ipad" from lenovo, Google on Chrome on lenovo.

got location of java script on ipad

it's under Settings > Safarii> advanced>java script......it is enabled still stumped every time i update ipad software i lose something i am using

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

Checked with apple...do have current iOS 9.3.5 (1G36) safari is loaded with it. Anyone else using ipad? might try chrome on ipad, currently using Yahoo search engine....time to try Google..Chrome? Yahoo has been going downhill since Verizon bought it

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

from lenovo..did above post, tried edit, same result, button depresses , no joy, no edit.....correction iPad iOS 9.3.5 (13G36) verified current ver.

david

• Tecnodave

BB,

went to apple app store, tried to download app Chrome for ipad>>>>>unable to purchase, not compatable with this ipad

tried to download Firefox for ipad>>>>>>>unable to purchase, not compatable with this ipad

its not this weeks ipad, its only 64 Gb memory

Come on Apple GIT REAL

david

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The changes have very little effect in general terms, just another thing to learn, which I'm sure once we're all proficient, the IT tech guys, or girls, will come up with another change, it's their job, if everything works fine why change it, but I do understand evolution......even technology evolution. One thing that would be nice however, is a back to the top arrow prompt as seen on many sites, that would be useful, not nesesary, but useful.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mcgivor
    edited February 2019 #41

Some sort of a glitch, posted a comment, there was a delay posted again, second post was blank, this one, which is edited to compose this. This time I'll be patient.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I don't like the editor to be just the same abilities with just a different interface/set of menus.

The old editor would have been fine for me if they simply put the edit menus at the bottom of the screen, not at the top (long posts, I am scrolling up and back down to use the menu items).

I asked where were the new functions like Fonts, Font colors and sub/superscripts. And the answer was Vanilla was not interested in any of that stuff... With the exception that sub/superscripts sounded interesting to the software/support guy.

🤐

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    edited February 2019 #43

Posting issue/question here for our members as an FYI. But using to submit a bug report to our software support person.

Issues/questions about cut and paste of formatted charts. For example, I use:

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

And it has worked (mostly) fine over the years to cut and paste tables into the forum. Here is an older post as an example:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/354761#Comment_354761

1/2 way down the post, you will see tables that I have posted (note another bug, when pasting, it "broke" the Quote Block):

http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Manila

Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 75° angle from vertical:

(For best year-round performance)

and you will see a simple chart of hours of sun vs the months.

Now, when a cut and paste a chart from the same website with the new Rich Text Editor, I get:

Manila

Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a horizontal surface:JanFebMarAprMayJun3.95

JulAugSepOctNovDec4.45

A very badly broken table. This is a killer for me. We post lots of charts and stuff here, and this is not going to work as is.

-Bill 

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Looks like we may have a corrupt thread here:

Schneider XW+ 6848 grid tie testing?

I will report in an hour or so if it is still "bad".

-Bill

• mcgivor

The problem occurred when I attached a pdf file to a post, the file has been used before without problems.

• BB.

You McGivor'ed our system?

Don't worry, I have reported the bug to tech support.

-Bill

• BB.
  • BB.

Rich Text Linking and possible issues with scraping websites for thumb nails:

Reporting to our forum tech support folks.

-Bill

• BB.

Note that pasting text (from above link) with paragraphs "breaks quote block":

There’s more to the story, including the fact that Jug’s solar panels never worked at full efficiency. This was because of what Sunrun characterized as “severe shading” caused by the next-door neighbor’s tree. That’s right: Sunrun installed the system beneath a big old tree. This makes me again question the judgment of Jug’s salesperson. Sunrun has a production guarantee—if the system underperforms, you get a credit. In Jug’s case, $203 was credited to his account on July 17, 2017, half a year after his death.

As I write this I’m pregnant. The life Alex and I pictured the first time we walked through Jug’s house, now our house, is taking shape. And let me tell you about our electricity bill. Had we assumed Jug’s lease, we’d be paying $79 a month to Sunrun (the second escalator would have kicked in) plus at least $10 to SoCal Edison to stay on the grid, minus $7.50 for net metering. We’ve been in the house 10 months, and our average SoCal Edison bill is $30. Compared with becoming Sunrun customers, we’re saving $50 a month. We’re going to give some of that to help protect the environment.

There’s more to the story, including the fact that Jug’s solar panels never worked at full efficiency. This was because of what Sunrun characterized as “severe shading” caused by the next-door neighbor’s tree. That’s right: Sunrun installed the system beneath a big old tree. This makes me again question the judgment of Jug’s salesperson. Sunrun has a production guarantee—if the system underperforms, you get a credit. In Jug’s case, $203 was credited to his account on July 17, 2017, half a year after his death.

As I write this I’m pregnant. The life Alex and I pictured the first time we walked through Jug’s house, now our house, is taking shape. And let me tell you about our electricity bill. Had we assumed Jug’s lease, we’d be paying $79 a month to Sunrun (the second escalator would have kicked in) plus at least $10 to SoCal Edison to stay on the grid, minus $7.50 for net metering. We’ve been in the house 10 months, and our average SoCal Edison bill is $30. Compared with becoming Sunrun customers, we’re saving $50 a month. We’re going to give some of that to help protect the environment.

And "code quote" did not work well for me either (is that random bolding in the code block quote?

And the old </> turn WSIWAG off does not seem to be accessible either (to look at tags/etc.).

-Bill

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found I cannot edit a quote, nor paste some text and make it a quote.

> The inverter changes the DC to AC

I only wanted to address one phrase, but had to quote the whole thing and could not cancel or abandon the half done edit

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.

Mike,

That is a "bug" I have reported... Quoting posts is, right now, really creating a link with "scraped" data from the site.

I believe that quotes of a post, should simply be quotes of the post that can be edited and/or commented on internal to the quote.

For now, you can do manual quoting--Highlight the post, copy and past (as below). Highlight the quote and use the Paragraph symbol on the left to make a quote block (there is a code quote too).

I found I cannot edit a quote, nor paste some text and make it a quote.

new text "bolded" here.

I only wanted to address one phrase, but ...Edited out quote... and could not cancel or abandon the half done editI found I cannot edit a quote, nor paste some text and make it a quote.

bolded strikethrough here.

I only wanted to address one phrase, but had to quote the whole thing and could not cancel or abandon the half done edit

For mobile users, the paragraph menu to the left is currently missing--Known bug.

-Bill

• BB.
    edited February 2019 #52

And that is using the "Quote button at the base of the quote (non-editable site scraped post). You can see the whole quote by pressing the down arrow (upper lift of post quote).

-Bill

• BB.
  • BB.

Note: I have reported this "damaged thread" to support:

Solar system design for home radon fan remediation system (off-grid) 

-Bill

• BB.

Another quoted link test... Type this line, hit enter and paste link:

Then hit enter and I get the above block of "random" PDF header text (non-printable characters).

I do wonder if the non-printable characters may not get escaped correctly and cause the thread display process to "choke".

This is the "bare link" I used:

https://www.sigar.mil/pdf/quarterlyreports/2019-01-30qr.pdf

In this case, put a couple blank lines in the page, then paste the link and "navigate" below to avoid tripping the block quote link processes.

I do see that the block link quote process did produce slightly different quoted text between this post, and the previous block quote up above (slightly longer quote, and the previous quote ended with eclipse "..." -- So it appears that the process may have some "holes" that may allow escaped, or should have been escaped, sequences through).

-Bill

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible for an unprintable char or program artifact to be carried from one posting to another? My posting to the radon thread was pretty simple, using samsung browser on a note3

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • BB.

They are trying to figure out the issue(s).

So far, has not been able to reproduce the thread nuking issue.

I thought that PDF block quote linking may have been getting some unprintable characters in the posts... But that was not an issue for you Estragon.

Anyway, I have passed your message onto support.

-Bill

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #58

Bill, I just tried to upload a png screen shot from snipping tool and it would not allow the png file that it said was supported?

Not a big deal but....

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.

Thank you Dave,

I will report.

-Bill

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Actually I did get it to work just now. I was somehow using .PNG instead of .png lower caps. Maybe something I did, maybe it is an issue .

Do you use snipping tool? They are all .PNG's The snip I was able to post I had to open in paint and save it as a .png.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.

I just use Windows paint too...

You could try using file explorer (or other file manager) to rename the file from .PNG to .png

In Windows, capitalization does not matter in file names. (at least, as I recall from years past).

In other OS's, it may be two different files.

I have updated the support ticket.

-Bill