Off grid rv help

Options
dwd902
dwd902 Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hello all. I have been reading this forum for awhile now and am starting to set up my system. Before I get started I wanted to get some insight and make sure I am not messing anything up. I bought land and am living in the RV on the land until my house is built. The house will be completely off grid so connecting to shore power isnt an option ( about 3000 feet to closest utility pole).  I have purchased 2 Trina Solar 280W 20V Solar Panel, Black TSM-DD05A.05-280. Ohh I only plan on using the propane heater and water pump. No TV or anything Fancy. Assuming my 4 amp heater is running 24 hours a day I was thinking 300 amp hour battery on a 12 volt system will do. I will use 6 volt batteries. I'm not the greatest with math but my understanding is with this system I would need a 60 amp charge controller. I also read which could be wrong that you can use a lower amp charge controller it just wont charge past that limit of whatever amp it's at. I would love some input or thoughts if anyone has to share. Am I missing anything? I dont plan on getting an inverter. I will charge phone with my car on my way to work. Thank you in advanced. 

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #2
    Options
    To start with, never buy components without a design, the design starts with anticipated loads, the battery needed is determined by this, the PV required to maintain a sufficient charge is based on battery requirements. Reverse engineering is problematic, start with the loads, since you already have panels, this will define the system to some degree, accurate load calculation is the best point to begin the venture.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So assuming a 4a load 24 x 4 is 96ah/day.  300ah is a bit of an odd size (GC would be ~225ah, L16 ~350), but using 300ah, that would give you ~ 1.5 days to 50% charge.

2 x 280w rated panels will likely produce ~ 280 x 2 x .75 = ~420w with proper tilt in full sun.  420w ÷ 12v = 35a.  A 40a controller would likely do, but a 60a would be better for catching a bit of available production in cloud-edge events etc.

At 50%, 150ah plus losses plus loads is needed to get the bank back to full.  35a - 4a load leaves 31a.  Charging is pretty efficient up to ~80%, so about 4hrs full sun to get there, and 2-3 more to get full.  In most locations, you might get full in one day in summer, but likely not in fall/winter.  Most places get runs of gloomy weather, so you'll likely need a generator anyway.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • dwd902
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    To start with, never buy components without a design, the design starts with antisapated loads, the battery needed is determined by this, the PV required to maintain a sufficient charge is based on battery requiments. Reverse engineering is problematic, start with the loads, since you already have panels, this will define the system to some degree, accurate load calculation is the best point to begin the venture.
    Sorry I should have included when I tried to figure it out I got roughly 112 amp hours of use per day with using heater full time and a few lights and even though the fridge is propane it still uses some electricity and a few other things like water pump. Its bare minimum. Sleep in and that's basically it. I have a propane stove I'll cook on.  The battery I just doubled my daily use so I had extra if needed. Sorry.  
  • dwd902
    Options
    Estragon said:
    So assuming a 4a load 24 x 4 is 96ah/day.  300ah is a bit of an odd size (GC would be ~225ah, L16 ~350), but using 300ah, that would give you ~ 1.5 days to 50% charge.

2 x 280w rated panels will likely produce ~ 280 x 2 x .75 = ~420w with proper tilt in full sun.  420w ÷ 12v = 35a.  A 40a controller would likely do, but a 60a would be better for catching a bit of available production in cloud-edge events etc.

At 50%, 150ah plus losses plus loads is needed to get the bank back to full.  35a - 4a load leaves 31a.  Charging is pretty efficient up to ~80%, so about 4hrs full sun to get there, and 2-3 more to get full.  In most locations, you might get full in one day in summer, but likely not in fall/winter.  Most places get runs of gloomy weather, so you'll likely need a generator anyway.
    Sorry  I just took the 112 amp hours per day and rounded up for 2 days plus  I could make by with less. This is a bare m il minimum use. I am selling my house and can still shower and stuff there but want it empty for the most part to help sell and so it can get fixed  does that make sense. 
  • dwd902
    Options
    dwd902 said:
    Estragon said:

Sorry  I just took the 112 amp hours per day and rounded up for 2 days plus  I could make by with less. This is a bare m il minimum use. I am selling my house and can still shower and stuff there but want it empty for the most part to help sell and so it can get fixed  does that make sense. 
    Also sorry it have a generator and the thing to charge batteries with the alternator  
  • Estragon
    Options
    In that case, I'd probably just go with a pair of GC batteries.  I did that with just a generator (no solar at all) for a few years while working on the cabin.  Solar would have been a bonus not having to run the genny every day :smile:
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    Options
    If the panels really are 20v, maybe a controller like:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/trts12vochco.html

Reasonable price with enough capacity to handle the panels.  Can be used for higher voltage banks, so might be useful in eventual house system, and fanless design might be preferable for use in RV.
    Off-grid.  
  • dwd902
    Options
    Estragon said:
    In that case, I'd probably just go with a pair of GC batteries.  I did that with just a generator (no solar at all) for a few years while working on the cabin.  Solar would have been a bonus not having to run the genny every day :smile:
    What are GC batteries? Just good quality?  Sorry  originally I was going to rely on the generator but figured I'd get a better understanding of solar and hook up the RV before the cabin  
  • dwd902
    Options
    Estragon said:
    If the panels really are 20v, maybe a controller like:
    https://www.solar-electric.com/trts12vochco.html

Reasonable price with enough capacity to handle the panels.  Can be used for higher voltage banks, so might be useful in eventual house system, and fanless design might be preferable for use in RV.
    So 45 amp charge controller will work. Might sound stupid but the display seems like it would be nice for a newbie. Then again if I dont understand most of it, it might be pointless. Also OneSolar is that a reputable brand and legit a mppt controller? I've read that there is a lot of fake mppt controllers  
  • Estragon
    Options
    GC = Golf Cart batteries.  They're generally ~225ah@6v.  A pair in series is 225ah@12v.  Roughly the size of a large-ish car battery (a bit taller) and reasonably easy to handle.  Widely available, true deep cycle, and reasonably priced (~$100-125ea), so good for learning batteries.  I'd go with a single string (pair) and work them harder, but you could add a second string if need be.

They're a good choice as long as the relatively small capacity doesn't mean needing more than two strings to handle required loads.  Bigger banks (> 450ah@12v) would be better off with bigger 6v, or individual cell 2v L16 sized batteries.

Off-grid.  
  • dwd902
    Options
    Estragon said:
    GC = Golf Cart batteries.  They're generally ~225ah@6v.  A pair in series is 225ah@12v.  Roughly the size of a large-ish car battery (a bit taller) and reasonably easy to handle.  Widely available, true deep cycle, and reasonably priced (~$100-125ea), so good for learning batteries.  I'd go with a single string (pair) and work them harder, but you could add a second string if need be.

They're a good choice as long as the relatively small capacity doesn't mean needing more than two strings to handle required loads.  Bigger banks (> 450ah@12v) would be better off with bigger 6v, or individual cell 2v L16 sized batteries.

Thanks  I'll check out the batteries. Another question. Do I need fuses between solar and charge controller and charge controller and battery?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need a fuse at the largest power source (battery) to protect the wires.  When a charge controller fails it can sometimes short, so a fuse at the battery is good.  Size the fuse to protect the wire (10ga = 30A,  12ga=20A) and size the wire to carry the required amps
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Options
    As Mike said, definitely between controller (and anything else connected to battery, eg inverter) and battery.  Between controller and panels, only really needed if more than two panels or strings in parallel, but a breaker can be handy as a disconnect in any case. 

I prefer breakers to fuses as they work out to similar cost (w/holders and spare fuses), and breakers double as disconnects.
    Off-grid.  
  • Tecnodave
    Tecnodave Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GC Golf cart batteries come in two flavors!

GC-2 are 6 volt and are for older golf carts which are 36 volts and used 6 of them in series. 6X6 is 36 volts

but modern golf carts are not 36 volts!

GC-8 are 8 volt 4 cell batteries for modern golf carts  6 batteries at 8 volts....48 volts.

david
    2 Classic 150, 2 Kid, 5 arrays 7.5 kw total  2ea.  2S6P Sharp NE-170/NE-165, 1ea. 12P Sanyo HIT 200,  2ea. 4/6P Sanyo HIT 200, MagnaSine MS4024AE, Exeltech XP-1100,  2 Banks L-16 battery, Rolls-Surette S-530 and Interstate Traction, Shunts with whizbangJr and Bogart Tri-Metric, iCharger i208B  dc-dc buck/boost converter with BMS for small form lithium 8S 16650 or LiFePO4,
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    And, of course, 3x 8 volt batteries gives you a 24 volt battery bank.

Why I always suggest lots of paper design work at the beginning to give you options before you lay out your hard earned $$$$ or €€€€ or  £££, etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset