Xantrex 2.5 kw will not come on

topazcatbird
topazcatbird Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭

Been running this 2.5 xantrex sine wave for over a year with no problems. It is a 12v unit coupled to 2000ah erersys batteries, fed by 12 80watt panels & midnight MPPT. Simple & sound system, perfect for our off grid 110v needs.

Yesterday I opened the circuit breaker to isolate/off the inverter so I could add a circuit breaker downstream.

when I put the breaker back on the inverter fan comes on, the control panel cycles thru all the leds then beeps and then nothing.

have double checked the wiring--no joy

Has anyone seen this issue before?xantrex

Tagged:

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might try opening all input/output breakers, wait for at least a minute, the close only the battery bank breaker.  Wait for the unit to boot fully before closing any other breakers.  While it's off, check voltage at the DC input terminals.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    edited February 2019 #3
    Also, was the downstream CB you installed a GFCI or arc-fault type?  Any continuity from AC hot out to ground?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • topazcatbird

Thanks for the comeback.

Intention was to add second breaker to current single breaker box. bought wrong breaker so nothing was changed (no gfi's or such).

have tried reboot with and without load on inverter--always the same inverter hums and control panel cycles then beeps and everything quits.

no shorts/continuity, and the AGM battery is floating @13.7.

• Estragon
    So just to clarify, the inverter faults with the output AC breaker open, and by closing the inverter DC breaker (only)? 

You are leaving the DC input breaker open (zero volts across DC input terminals) for a minute or more (to ensure all capacitors are discharged etc for a completely cold boot)?

Maybe see if the DC voltage sags at the inverter input terminals as it boots with the AC breaker open?

Off-grid.  
  • topazcatbird

copy clarify-faults with AC breaker open and current added

plenty of wait time

no voltage drop

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disconnect the AC out at the inverter 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    mike95490 said:
    Disconnect the AC out at the inverter 
    With the DC input breaker opened first :wink:
    Off-grid.  
  • topazcatbird
    that will be awhile. there are access issues and working under raised building with raging blizzard right now.
  • Estragon
    If the inverter is being controlled by a remote control panel, it might be worth trying a cold reboot (DC input breaker off for 1 min) with the remote disconnected.  Seems to me, if the AC out (or the inverter) isn't pooched somehow, the inverter alone should come up with a cold  boot.  If you can't rule out an AC problem for now, maybe rule out a control problem?
    Off-grid.  
  • topazcatbird

wires from inverter run thru 2' outdoor rated flexi-duit and have not been molested.

disconnected inverter wires at breaker box. unplugged control panel. plenty of wait time, moved DC breaker to ON.

fan on inverter ran for a moment then stopped. metered AC output wires--no joy

plugged control panel back in--it cycled thru leds beeped and went black

this unit is in unheated crawl space and it has been 0--20 degrees lately

I believe it is a quirk of xantrex prosine--to get it to light up.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Did you put a volt meter on the +/- inverter DC input terminals and see if you are getting full battery voltage (inverter may need >~12.5 volts to start in some cases--just a generic question, don't know for sure on yours).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • topazcatbird

system down several days. batteries full a can get. juice to inverter not issue--measured full voltage, with no drop when trying to start inverter,

opened inverter case to look. nothing burnt or scorched. no burnt smell.

• topazcatbird
    HELP!!  Mr. Wizard
  • BB.
    1) get new inverter (same or different--your choice) and get running again
    2) either repair old inverter for backup or get a new inverter for backup (spending too much money fixing old/stressed from failures, still older/possibly stressed and well along in life curve).

In general, 10+ years for commercial power systems is a good life... And repairing units 5 or less years in age, may be worth it--If the costs are reasonable and the damage was not extensive.

a) Carefully removing and reinstalling cables/board to board connectors/etc. (wiping contacts to renew mating surfaces) will frequently bring things back to life.

b) Checking for dust/debris that may have shorted low power control circuits and cleaning with alcohol, distilled water, or similar (and drying before supplying power).

Here is a list of repair facilities that folks have suggested over the years:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/241766#Comment_241766

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Have tried disconnecting AC at the inverter output terminals?  
    Off-grid.  
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 #17
    I use a 1800 watt Prosine, The 2500 watt is an Inverter/charger so that might help some of the wizard types here.

I would seriously check around on the boat forums. These were very popular on boats, if you find a wizard of Prosine Inverter/Chargers I think that is where you would find them.

As I recall from my feeble mind, these have a group of DIP switches along the side. If it's difficult to get to perhaps a switch or 2 got flipped accidentally. There is also a bypass switch on the same side (I hunted down a manual)

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/PROsine-3/ProSine_25-30-Owner-Guide(445-0096-01-01_Rev-A).pdf
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    And besides reseating cables, "re-flipping DIP" switches to to try and clean the contacts.

-Bill
  • topazcatbird

Sorry about not responding sooner--weather been dominant issue here in eastern sierra.

re. Super Mod.--wired in new pro watt 2k unit to 110v supply system-back to having plenty of pure juice. Had shifted to alternate system that normally provides 12v for fridge & lights. The Trace 1512 in that system came right up and has provided faultless service for something like 30 years.

Perused manual online first day of issue, to locate bypass switch. Dip's have not been touched. Will cycle switches to ensure contacts.

Reseating cables to check for oxidation has merit--will try

re. Estragon--will remove AC out at inverter first and try again. Accessing outbuilding crawlspace has been challenging my 67yr body.

Does Anyone Know--Is the control panel that plugs in with phone cord necessary for inverter to operate?

• Estragon

FWIW, I have a (different model, older) Xantrex, which has never had a control panel installed. It lacks some functionality (eg no EQ), but otherwise boots and works okay for my purposes. If yours is similar, it should boot without one, and unplugging the panel may help rule it out as the source of the problem.

Off-grid.  
  • topazcatbird

That's a help. Don't need the functionality, just juice. Without control panel inverter still cycles fans and shuts down. But one less possible issue trying without it though. Weather moderating here. Will go thru wiring issues mentioned above tomorrow--wife has me scheduled for today.

Thanks, chris

BTW, have never used the charger side of this unit. Could hooking to generator and pushing some AC thru it spur it to life?

• BB.

Purely a guess on my part... In general, most of the "parts" used for AC inverter are also the same parts used for AC Charging (in most inverters--It is a cost&size savings).

I personally would not do it--I don't think it will "fix" anything. And at worst, it may cause further damage.

-Bill

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect like my ProSine 1800, this has an internal fuse. Just something else to check...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • topazcatbird

I'm not lookin at it now for the specifics.. There are 2 large fuses inside. They both have continuity.  ---  Thanks for the input