Remote readings of battery voltage?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Winters here can be quite severe here. With terrible weather sometimes I pretty well stay in the warm bedroom. Would be nice to see battery voltage though. 

Outback inverter and charge controller. 48V battery banks. Guess I could run some ~20 gauge wires from the bank to the bedroom and a voltage meter. Though three active dogs have their way with too much stuff that isn't bolted down. Thinking it possible that Outback may offer a remote read out by now?

The Outback equipment is a bit of a chore to get to during the winter due to insulation over the stairs and....
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Hmmm... Did a quick search on Amazon and found one meter (no reviews) that was wireless for $45 with 10 meter range.

https://www.amazon.com/DYKB-Voltmeter-Multimeter-temperature-Remaining/dp/B07GD6Y6KX

And there are a lot RS485 remote meters (with lots of Volts/Amps/Hours) LCD displays for less than $50. I am surprised how much is out there... I just searched for "wireless voltmeter".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    BB. said:
    Hmmm... Did a quick search on Amazon and found one meter (no reviews) that was wireless for $45 with 10 meter range.

https://www.amazon.com/DYKB-Voltmeter-Multimeter-temperature-Remaining/dp/B07GD6Y6KX

And there are a lot RS485 remote meters (with lots of Volts/Amps/Hours) LCD displays for less than $50. I am surprised how much is out there... I just searched for "wireless voltmeter".

-Bill
    Thanks, that is the 500 amp unit. Once can save a few bucks by going with, say, 200 or 300 amps. Wondering 'bout that.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    The list price for shunts is not cheap:

https://www.solar-electric.com/search/?q=shunt

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    That's not a shunt though. It's just a bus bar. In this case, it is intended to increase the number of things you can connect to the shunt. Me thinks the host should change the name of the item to reduce confusion. 
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • softdown
    Horsefly said:
    softdown said:
    That's not a shunt though. It's just a bus bar. In this case, it is intended to increase the number of things you can connect to the shunt. Me thinks the host should change the name of the item to reduce confusion. 
    Being an econ major it looks like profit to these eyes. Compromise - Profitable bus bar for shunt
  • BB.
    Note that the NAWS website may offer you lower pricing (than website "list price") when you create an account and login.

But they are "bus bars" for a "shunt"...

-Bill
  • benthere
    benthere Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    Why not use a Mate?