Xantrex SW5548 Inverter Error Code Will Not Clear

pvoffgrid
pvoffgrid Solar Expert Posts: 48 ✭✭
Does anyone know why a Gen Over/Under Speed error code on the slave SW5548 inverter will not clear?  The slave does not control the generator.  I have disconnected the inverters from the batteries for 30 minutes, and the voltage got down to 0.83 DCV.  We then turned everything back on and the error code is still on the inverter.  Also, I do know how to clear the errors on the inverters: push the generator and inverter buttons to the off position and then back to the desired positions (auto, on, etc.)

I am now running 100% on generator power, bypassing the inverters, and will do so for at least 60 minutes to see if this will clear the error code.  

The problem is the inverter still does some inverting as it is on but the error code flashes and I do not get 220V in the house.  Therefore, the well pump nor the pump in the water tank do not pump, at least not correctly. This is how we discovered this issue...vibrating water pipes.

How do we clear the error code? Even resetting the display to factory setting s did not work.  Hmm, perhaps, I need to reset all the current settings back to factory settings, and not just the display.

Only 1 - 1.5 more weeks and my new Trojan batteries will be here!   Ugh.....Couldn't any more issues have just waited?  lol

48v Off-Grid

Modules: 5.395 kW:

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(12) Kyocera KD-210GX-LPU

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

(24) Trojan Solar SPRE 02 1255 

Racks:

(2) Zomework trackers (KC130TM modules, 8 per tracker, landscape position) - facing due south

(1) Unirac ground mounted fixed rack (all KD210 modules, landscape position) - facing slightly southwest

(1) Unirac roof mounted fixed rack (all KU265 modules, landscape postion) - facing due south

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

(1) Outback MX60 - for (16) KC130 modules 

(1) Flexmax60 - for (12) KD210 modules

(1) Flexmax60 - for (3) KU265 modules

Generator:

(1) Kohler 14RESA propane

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Go into SCP menu, select the device, press enter, scroll down to clear faults warnings press enter.
    The error would be related most likely to the AGS as gen over/under speed is not an inverter error, that I'm aware of.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • pvoffgrid
    edited December 2018 #3
    I do not have an SCP menu, if the SCP menu refers to a Xanbus™ System Control Panel (SCP).

Also, disconnecting the inverter from the battery for almost 2.5 hours did not clear the error code.  :(

So, I have disconnected the well pump and tank pump so I can run off the inverters and shut the generator down

48v Off-Grid

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

Racks:

(2) Zomework trackers (KC130TM modules, 8 per tracker, landscape position) - facing due south

(1) Unirac ground mounted fixed rack (all KD210 modules, landscape position) - facing slightly southwest

(1) Unirac roof mounted fixed rack (all KU265 modules, landscape postion) - facing due south

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

Generator:

• mcgivor
    SCP https://www.solar-electric.com/schneider-electric-xw-plus-sw-system-control-panel.html
    How do you program the devices ? The Combox would probably have the same features, I don't have on to verify.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • pvoffgrid
    The settings are changed and cleared right on the inverters themselves.

48v Off-Grid

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

Racks:

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

Generator:

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a long shot, but any chance the error is recurring, so not clearable (eg maybe frequency spec set to a narrow range on that unit)?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another long shot, does the slave rely on communication from master to qualify generator, so maybe a comms issue?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • pvoffgrid
    Estragon, that is great out of the box thinking.  THANKS.

I was unsure how to check the frequency setting but considering issues have not arisen in the past, I figured this was not the issue, at least not to the point to check it first before checking the comm possibility.  I am not positive but I believe that is the issue.  Yes, the inverters rely upon each other.  If one is off there is no power to the house.  When I first turned everything back on after 6 hours of being off, I still had the error flashing.  The slave inverter also still had 0.32VDC at the battery terminals after 6 hours so if clearing this error means getting the inverter down to 0 VDC how does that take? Anyway, I disconnected the 2" wide flat comm wire between the two inverters and tried it turning everything on again.  It took a few attempts but eventually the error cleared.  There must be a sequence of disconnecting, reconnecting, and turning the inverters back on to get the error to clear.

So, summary:
    Vibrating water pipes in freezing cold temperatures...
    Check the 3,000 gallon water tank..not full and the pump is not running, so no water is being pumped from the well into the tank, even though the breakers are on. GREAT, just great!
    Water level is below the water intake into the house..there is the issue.  well pump gone or frozen underground pipes.  Quick..how deep did we bury the water pipe? Did we use metal or plastic? Can we use a welder to heat the pipes up to unthaw them? We do not remember.  :(
    I lift the water tank float in the tank and the water starts pumping sporadically...yep, frozen pipe, once enough water pushes past the blockage it will flow faster and smoother.  But, at least I know it is not the pump. Whew
    A buddy comes up to help, hears the water flow and says we need to shut the pump off now.
    We get into the house and turn off the well pump breaker, then check the voltage at the water tank pump outlet: 154v, not 220v.  We check the 220v outlet for my table saw..154v. OK.......
    We check the inverters and sure enough the slave inverter has the error that cannot be cleared.

I bypass the inverters and run straight off the generator and I have 220v, and well pump and water tank pump work just fine.

Hmmm, water issue in freezing cold temperatures

Nope, it is an electrical problem, not a water problem.  

Nope, it is not an electrical problem.  It is a comm problem.  

Wait, the water issue is caused by a comm issue!  Now, why didn't I think of that???  There is definitely a clear connection between the two, right??? ;)

All is better...1.5 more weeks until my Trojan batteries get here, and then maybe I can get back to figuring out why that stupid Kohler generator will not start automatically. 

48v Off-Grid

(16) Kyocera KC130TM

(3) Kyocera KU265-6MCA 

Batteries:

Racks:

Inverters:

(2) Trace SW5548

Charge Controllers:

Generator:

• mcgivor
    All along I was thinking your inverters were the newer type SW.often referred to as Xantrex rather than Schneider Conext, hense the reference to SCP and ComBox, sorry my mistake .