Flickr affect

parbob1
parbob1 Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
Next year a commercial 600’ windmill is being built..  it will be south of were I’m planning to install my solar panels.   The windmill will be approximately 2,500’ away, and is in direct line with morning sun.  Does anyone know if the Flickr affect will impact my panels.  Thanks Bob
 SW Conext 4048
 AGS
Combox & Conext battery monitor 
16- 235 6V batteries 
Honda 6500 gen

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Your panels will not be damaged... Your MPPT type charge controller (or GT Inverter) will be confused and probably not produce much power while subject to flicker. A PWM charge controller will probably not do much other than charge the battery bank normally (with reduced average current because of the flicker).

2,500 feet away, the time your panels will be subjected to flicker is probably on the order of a handful of minutes less than a week or two per year.

Personally, I would be a bit more worried that pronounced flicker on east facing windows (bedrooms, kitchen, etc.) would be pretty annoying or worse (seizure inducing, worst case).

Are you sure the turbines are not to the East of you? I would guess turbines to the south of you would only be an issue if you are near the arctic circle (sun needs to be near horizon to cast "shadows" a 1/2 mile away).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will reduce the power as the shadow moves across the panels.   What time will the sun clear the blades ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,