Wind Turbine and Solar Panel Closed Loop System

dwk108
dwk108 Registered Users Posts: 1

I have this idea where I think I can create a closed loop system for cooling down the temp in my attic which can go up to 50degC sometimes on a really hot day.

Please let me know what you think.

250W x 2 panels  + 300W x 2 Horizontal Wind Turbines

Connected to an MPPT Hybrid Controller w/ 500W Dump Load . 

Then it goes to 100AH x 4 (Configured as 12vDC)

My loads are just 80W x 5 Car Radiator Fans and maybe a few LED light bulbs. lets say 5W each x 5 pieces.

So, this is where my brain fart comes in.. 

If I put the wind turbines in front of the radiator fans to collect the wind output from the same radiator fans, it will charge back the batteries. 

The only thing I’m getting out if this is cooler attic due to the air circulation. And maybe once a while of turn on the TV which is probably connected to the batteries via an Inverter.

So before I start buying all the stuff needed, would appreciate some feedbacks on if this is a valid idea or not.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, you would get little, if any, useful charging power from the wind turbines.  They need "clean" airflow, not the turbulent flow which the rad fans would produce.

For attic cooling, the best bang for the buck is generally improving natural draft ventilation with better ridge and soffit venting.  This can make a huge difference.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where the car radiators fit into the picture, but from the sounds of it you are trying to achieve some form of energy recapture or perhaps perpetual motion. Insulation of the ceiling along with roof peak ventilation will dramatically reduce the heat transfer into the living space. This can be active or passive however passive seems to work almost as well as active, with a fan for example.  http://www.everybodyneedsaroof.com/passive-ventilation this is especially important for off grid as ever little bit of conservation is important. Had an attic fan once which stopped working, there was little change to comfort so didn't bother to repair it.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pair of these inexpensive radiator fans venting my garage in Baja. I have both powered by a single, hard wired 65 watt 12 volt solar panel. When connecting a single fan to the panel I could tell it would probably burn out in short order. It was running really really, fast. When I connected two fans to the single panel they ran great and actually run at different speeds depending on the sun's intensity. This setup has been running flawlessly for almost 4 years now. Leave the wind turbines out of the equation. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.