Is automatic equalizing a con?

stmoloud
stmoloud Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭
My PWM controller claims to know when my battery needs equalizing. And will go into it for 120 minutes. How does it know when to go into this mode?
Surely, there are more circumstances than not which cannot be algorithmised (is that a word?)
760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter. 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #2
    I seriously doubt it "knows when (our) battery needs equalizing"! I believe if you read it will do a maintenance equalizing every 30 or 60 days (cycles).

It's no 'con' but it is pretty much a maintenance equalizing, and not a corrective equalizing. These are 2 different things and not many battery manufacturers describe them this way. I think Crown does to some extent. Most battery manufacturers recommend a monthly equalizing, which is a slight over charging of the battery it helps mix the electrolyte preventing stratification and recombines (or helps remove) some hardens sulfation as well as correcting minor out of balance cells.

This is different from a corrective equalization, when the battery electrolyte's SG is measured and you find cells seriously out of balance. This will require watching the batteries during equalizing checking SG every hour until 2 or more hours pass when the low cells don't improve.

Monthly equalizing;
    https://youtu.be/jCl5klSF4tE
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #3
    Some controllers do a monthly EQ, some without the option to disable, this can become problematic with older batteries particularly in hot climates where the temperature increase due to EQ can cause thermal runaway, to compound the problem, they often lack temperature compensation, a friend of mine found this out the hard way, the over gassing caused cronic loss of water damaging the plates.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmoloud
    If its a time thing would have to be careful you don't disconnect and lose the time stamp. But with that in mind would be better than nothing I guess. You might give yourself a google calendar message to make sure you don't miss the event.
    760W panel array, 4 x 6v 220 ah Crown batteries, Tristar TS-45 PWM controller,  no name 600 PSW inverter. 
  • mcgivor
    Is the controller an EPever or Tracer (same controller ) by any chance? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmoloud
    Yep that sounds like mine no temperature compensation but not subject to high temperatures. So it should be safe to leave this controller to do it's stuff when I go for my 6 month holiday?
  • stmoloud
    mcgivor said:
    Is the controller an EPever or Tracer (same controller ) by any chance? 

No, is just a cheap no-name from China

• mcgivor
    stmoloud said:
    Yep that sounds like mine no temperature compensation but not subject to high temperatures. So it should be safe to leave this controller to do it's stuff when I go for my 6 month holiday?
    Not sure the best way to answer that, perhaps get a small 20W panel as a battery minder, not large enough to cause any damage but enough to cover self discharge. I do this on my escavator which sees little use for months at a time, never had any issues even with a $5 controller.
  • stmoloud
    Yes, I have one of those, a 10 watt I use for my starting battery. I could disconnect this from the starting battery and use it to trickle charge my solar bank. Thanks