Garretson Valve--Propane--new Was running?

mightymac
mightymac Registered Users Posts: 2
OK, I put this [new] Garretson valve on my generator last summer adj. it and it ran good. Carb adapter also on.  Now in Oct. I tried to run it and nothing??  I hooked up to the house tank and it ran good last summer. I tried the primmer and can,t get anything to come out?? I put a hose in cup water see if it blow bubbles when press primmer nothing?? I loosen hose at valve and have plenty of propane from tank to valve??       I,m going nts with this???????????   Is there something I can adj. now to help this??

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Garretson Valve (secondary, low pressure input propane regulator for genset):

https://www.propanecarbs.com/garretson/garretson_kn_demand_regulator.html

Sounds like the regulator has a gummed up valve assembly... Take apart and use some carburetor cleaner?

And you may want to order a spare regulator and or rebuild kit (just to have on hand)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't offer any direct help based on experience but the attached file may help
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mightymac
    mightymac Registered Users Posts: 2
    BB. said:
    Garretson Valve (secondary, low pressure input propane regulator for genset):

https://www.propanecarbs.com/garretson/garretson_kn_demand_regulator.html

Sounds like the regulator has a gummed up valve assembly... Take apart and use some carburetor cleaner?

And you may want to order a spare regulator and or rebuild kit (just to have on hand)...

-Bill
    Well, Like I said it is a new valve, So I took it apart and honestly did find anything wrong? But put it back together and wa-la--It works? I push primer and can feel gas come out now. Only other thing is I had to adj the mixture again from last summer?? Seems to run fine don,t know what I did??   THANKS
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are using a cylinder, you may have tripped the excess flow valve (has happened to me).  It does allow some flow, so it can fool you.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• arby
    arby Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    As jonr said, I know that the 20 lb cylinders seem to need the valve turned on very slowly or almost nothing comes through. Some kind of new safety valve I guess.
    3310 watts panels, Classic 200 controller, 8 Surette S530's, Xantrex 5548 inverter, Honda EX5500 backup Genny.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I don't know if there are flow restrictors or not for propane tanks (if you have a broken line, the valve slams shut and blocks further fuel flow).

I have seen issues where connecting the regulator to the tank, that the probe does not fully/correctly enter the tank valve (there is a safety valve that will not open until it is pushed out of the way).

And there is a float valve that stops the tank from filling over ~80% of capacity (liquid level rises, closes float valve). I do not know if the foat valve will prevent fuel flow (tank overfilled, sitting on an angle, float valve is closed).

And the old question of liquid propane or gasous propane (anything over a small genset usually uses liquid propane and vaporizer on engine).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset