Using a 18v solar panel on a 12v system

Options
bigslo
bigslo Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a hybrid inverter, Luminous NXG 750 which according to their technical specifications (attached image, highlighted in red), supports solar panel of 12v upto 400wp.

A friend of mine gave me four 18v solar panels (atached image) that i wanted to use on the inverter. When sitting in bright sun, i measured around 21-22v, and in shaded areas, i measured around 15-16v per panel.

Is there any easy way to reduce the voltage to a safe level for use in my 12v rated inverter without having to open the front glass pane and rewiring the individual solar cells. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Voc~21 volts and Vmp~18 vols is the nominal voltage (standard test conditions/marketing speck) for "12 volt panels" charging a 12 volt battery bank with a PWM solar charge controller (sounds like what you have).

Using a 400 Watt array (Imp~20-22 amps), you want to charge the battery bank at ~ 5% to 13% rate of charge... 5% is good for weekend/summer/sunny weather cabin. 10%+ is better for full time off grid system (9 months a year or more occupation)...
    • 400 watts * 0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 425 AH @ 12 volt battery bank maximum size for weekend/summer usage
    • 400 watts * 0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 212 AH @ 12 volt battery bank "nominal"/full time off grid
    • 400 watts * 0.77 solar panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.13 rate of charge =163 AH @ 12 volt battery bank "typical minimum" suggested battery capacity
    A pair of 6 volt @ ~200 AH "Golf Cart" batteries in series (for 12 volts @ 200 AH) would be a nice bank for this system... If mostly summer use (and/or you use a backup genset for bad/winter weather), 2x strings of these batteries (4x total) in series parallel would give you 12 volts @ ~400 AH.

If you want to "reliably" use the 500 Watt output of this Inverter on your battery bank, I would suggest (~250 watts per 100 AH @ 12 volts) a minimum battery bank capacity of:
    • 500 Watt inverter * 1/250 Watts per 100 AH (at 12 volts) for flooded cell lead acid batteries = 200 AH @ 12 volt minimum FLA battery bank for this inverter.
    Assuming you are in/around Mumbai India, fixed array, 400 Watts:
    http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Mumbai
    Average Solar Insolation figures

Measured in kWh/m2/day onto a solar panel set at a 71° angle from vertical:
    (For best year-round performance)

JanFebMarAprMayJun

JulAugSepOctNovDec

You have lots of sun, relatively speaking... The long term average for your "worst month" is ~4.85 hours of sun per day:
    • 400 Watt array * 0.52 off grid system eff * 4.85 hours of sun average (August) = 1,009 Wh per average August day (some days/weeks more, some less depending on the weather patterns at that time).
    Lots of guesses and assumptions... Please ask your questions and correct my guesses.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigslo said:
    Hello everyone,

I recently bought a hybrid inverter, Luminous NXG 750 which according to their technical specifications (attached image, highlighted in red), supports solar panel of 12v upto 400wp.

"12V panel" means 18 volts.  If it is designed to work with 12V panels it will work with your panel.

Note that this inverter requires a battery.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That inverter needs batteries, a charge controller in addition to the solar panels.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.