Outback FM 60 screen problem

mikeinbaja
mikeinbaja Registered Users Posts: 2
Every now and then my FM 60 screen shows what I can only call - a bunch of garbage! All kinds of numbers, letters etc flashing all around the screen. I can clear it by turning off batteries and panels and doing a restart. The controller remembers settings ie non-"normal" for AGM batteries - even remembers the log!
The other day it showed "floating" - ALL DAY!
Outback of course wants me to send the controller up to their only repair facility in AZ (I'm in Baja, MX) - Ain't gonna work as I am off grid and can't send my controller away for months (or from down here, maybe forever!)

Any clues?

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried a total reset ? 
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • mikeinbaja
    mikeinbaja Registered Users Posts: 2
    I have totally powered down the system when this happens - its the only way to clear it. I cant find rhyme or reason as to the circumstances that cause this to happen. Quite frustrating and getting a little worrisome that I might lose the whole controller sometime with no warning.. any help appreciated
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might search and ask at the Outback forum;

http://outbackpower.com/forum/
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Check your DC electrical connections (especially between battery bac bank and charge controller). Loose or corroded connections can cause flaky behavior (check all connections. Look for color changes from heart or water, etc.).

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems the problem is not an isolated one, here is a link with possible fix http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6129
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.