No panels yet. Generator to Batteries to Inverter to house?

Options
Giovanni
Giovanni Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi, it is my first post here, im writing you from Parallel 38º at the southern pacifico coast in Chile.

Im a young architect and Im finishing my own house. It is located in a rural area next to the sea and Im working on bringing Water and Electricity to the house but it is a long and expensive process.

I have read as much as I can about living off the grid and I've tried hard to setup a system that suit my needs but I don't have the knowledge to do it so I hope you guys can help me.

As an introduction to the specifications of the house I can tell you that the walls are build entirely with SIP panels of magnesium Oxide with 125mm. (5 inches) of EPS and the roof is made with steel SIP panels with the same insulation. The floor is a concrete slab also with EPS insulation.

I haven't calculate the electric load of the house, but the floor has an underfloor electric heating mat. Our plan is to use only LED lights, we have 2 heat exchangers for a future pool and the hot water inside the house is heated by a 50 Gallon Electric Water Heater. We also have an electric kitchen, oven, microve, a quite big refrigerator, 2 TV's, 2 computers, washing machine, plotter and the house has movable terrace and others mechanism operated by 12v winches.

I need to move to the house as soon as possible. The water is not a big issue because I have 5.000lts (1.320gallon) reserve, I collect all of the rainwater from the roof and I can easily refill those tanks with fresh water if needed.

My main problem is Electricity, The company is taking forever to bring electricity to the house and I cant wait for them, so I found recently some cheap batteries and bought them.

So... So Far I have 16 batteries 170Ah 12v
https://www.osibatteries.com/p-2275-enersys-powersafe-sbs-170f-sealed-lead-battery-12v-170ah-front-term.aspx

I also have a Kipor Diesel generator KDE 6700TA
http://www.kiporuk.co.uk/diesel-generator/kde-6700ta-400-64-67.php

My plan is, before buying the solar panels, is to connect the diesel generator to the batteries, the batteries to an inverter, and the inverter to the house.
I would like to buy an inverter that I can later use when the setup is completed with solar panels, charge controller and the company electricity.
I still need to finish the house, I don't want to buy cheap and useless equipment, but I need to be very careful with cash flow so I need to build my solar equipment with time.

In the beginning I don't need all of the electrical amenities of the house, just the basic stuff to move in, later, with the company electricity I plan on using everything electric.

1) Can I connect the diesel generator to the batteries, the batteries to an inverter, and the inverter to the house.?

2)If the answer is yes, which inverter do you suggest me for my needs? My plan is to extend my battery bank in the near future to at least 24 units of 170AH 12V Batteries.

3)Which charge controller do you suggest me to get?

4)How many solar panels should I buy in the near future? which brand and type do you suggest me to get?

I will share some pics of the house and the location so you get a better idea of it, thanks in advance for your time, hope you can help me with guidance.

Its working OK now ;)

PD. I know it is not a good practice but I really need some internet help on this one, so you may found this as a crosspost on other forums.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Giovanni,

Just to let you know, your post has been approved... It was put in a que to check because of links and photos.

Should not happen again...

Now to read your post.

-Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely go with a 48 volt system. Even with that you will have 4 strings of batteries. In the future, if you plan to continue to use batteries you should use 6 volt or even 2 volt batteries. You can assemble a battery bank without multiple strings.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For sure, a 48V system with all your electrical loads.

First question.  What mfg / gear can you get  in your area.  Will you be importing or buying only domestically ?

Inverter : a hybrid inverter, works with Grid or Generator power

My suggestions:  schneider-electric  an international electrical supply company.

and a couple electrical boxes and wiring to the generator.   It will charge the batteries from the generator and then run silently off the batteries at night.  When you get PV panels, they charge the batteries via a Charge Controller.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,