Outback FlexMAX 80 issue...

Rossk
Rossk Registered Users Posts: 1
I am hooking up my solar... I have 4 325W panasonic HIT panels and an Outback FlexMAX80 Mppt solar charge controller charging 4 Apex AGM 250A/H batteries(1,000AH total) in a 24V configuration. The problem is... when I turn on the PV array, the MPPT shows the correct voltage coming in and within about 8-10 seconds, the input amperage goes from 4A to 1.5A (it is in the morning and no clouds are visible. Basically bringing the voltage of 1 panel. any Ideas or suggestions? I have ruled out the parallel collection coupling as I now have 2 panels wired in series with the same issue. The voltage does not drop just the amps.  Any help would be appreciative!!!

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the batteries discharged or fully charged? 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you get 1000ah@24v from 4x250ah batteries. What is the voltage of individual batteries, and how is the bank wired?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Rossk said:
    I am hooking up my solar... I have 4 325W panasonic HIT panels and an Outback FlexMAX80 Mppt solar charge controller charging 4 Apex AGM 250A/H batteries(1,000AH total) in a 24V configuration. The problem is... when I turn on the PV array, the MPPT shows the correct voltage coming in and within about 8-10 seconds, the input amperage goes from 4A to 1.5A (it is in the morning and no clouds are visible. Basically bringing the voltage of 1 panel. any Ideas or suggestions? I have ruled out the parallel collection coupling as I now have 2 panels wired in series with the same issue. The voltage does not drop just the amps.  Any help would be appreciative!!!
    Not sure what your issue is.

First off you have a 250ah system, not a 1000 ah system (assuming your batteries are 6V.)  Second, if your batteries are fully charged that is exactly what you will see.  So I don't see any problems there.

"Basically bringing the voltage of 1 panel." - Your array voltage will remain pretty much the same no matter what.  Only the current will change.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    what is the controller saying .. Bulk    ?  Absorbing  ?  float  ?  
    Do you have a load you can put onto the system, inverter or such . With a load it should increase in amps out .  
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home