mutiple inverters vs. single inverter?

Thick8
Thick8 Registered Users Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
Do you guys have different inverters for different zones of your house? I'm currently taking the kill-o-watts around the house to get accurate measurements of what draws what. Other than the pool pump (120v), dryer (240v), sprinkler pump (240v), and 4 ton A/C unit (240v) we don't use a lot of power (will be more accurate tommorrow). The water, heat, and stove are all gas.
Looking at 48v to 120/240v systems.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple inverters can save battery reserve if using a larger main inverter which has high self consumption, for example my inverter uses ~40W, the only loads at night 6pm-6am, are the refrigerator (inverter type ) 50W intermittent and a few 13w led lights. What I came up with is feeding a second 300W inverter and the main inverter into an automatic transfer switch, the larger being the prime source, then programed an inverter block between these hours which transfers to the standby source, small inverter, the result is a dramatic reduction in the depth of discharge. The automatic transfer switch cost less than $30, batteries are much more expensive, depending on equipment, there  may be more complexity involved and naturally the larger loads must never come on.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar multiple inverter system, with larger loads wired to a sub-panel that only gets fed by big inverters/generator. It's still possible for someone to plug a hair dryer in to an outlet when fed by the small inverter, but the little inverter will just scream and go lights out.

Good to know 300w will run an inverter type fridge. Hopefully they'll be reasonably available here in the next few years.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • ScarlettJohn
    ScarlettJohn Registered Users Posts: 2
    Well, I don't have any inverters, but I am thinking about it now. 
    This post really makes sense. 
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #5
    I had the electrician wire the house into 2 Distribution boxes and am just waiting for MidNite to release their 24V (new) inverters, then at night a 200W would do the trick...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thick8 said:
    Do you guys have different inverters for different zones of your house? I'm currently taking the kill-o-watts around the house to get accurate measurements of what draws what. Other than the pool pump (120v), dryer (240v), sprinkler pump (240v), and 4 ton A/C unit (240v) we don't use a lot of power (will be more accurate tommorrow). The water, heat, and stove are all gas.
    Looking at 48v to 120/240v systems.
    If you are even thinking of powering the loads you mention, a small inverter would just be spending time on something that some might say is time wasted. 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]