Schneider Conext XW+ = What nightmares are made of

124»

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's taken me about a week of sun, to get my bank fully charged up, after a week of cloudy, stormy weather.  But if I adjust my absorb time to do it quicker, then in summer w/out clouds, I'm really gassing and watering the batteries like mad.

You need to set your absorb times to 4 or 6 hours for a couple days, see how that goes, watch your over night voltages, when they don't sag too much overnight, then you are close to fully charged.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• TGC
    TGC Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I do not believe there is any limiting in your system beside the battery itself!

No way that it does what you say if it supplies loads and does not voltage sag.

OK, coffee starting to work, there is one way, are your chargers set at 100%? It is the default BTW !
    Yep, 100%. So you might be right, it's just the chemistry then, and more volts will help.
  • TGC
    TGC Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭
    The firmware revision is released on case by case because of the danger at this voltage and other reasons I seem to remember. My email is below for my business. Send me an e-mail and I will pass it on. Have you done firmware? It does take some skill and unless you remove the mppts from the inverter network, the AC power will go out. Not good to depend on the battery in a laptop to power the Dongle. This must be thought out as people have done some very bad things offgrid to their equipment in very remote places.  That is my standard warning :)

Part of your problem is how inefficient the battery is. If you look at my screenshot of a Lion battery the current drops in about 2 hours or so. The battery is just about fully charged and its internal shunt gives the Soc info to combox,  they are expensive now but perfect for offgrid because they charge so fast on bad days in winter. Mine may outlive me with zero maintenance. What was that huge spike in your current for hours after dark for hours?

Super!! I'll send you an email, that would be awesome.

I have smaller system for backup, so I can do the upgrade on a different supply. I can imagine that you could get caught :)!!

One reason that I chose NiFe is that we don't really have bad days in winter, it's the dry season so shorter days, but almost 100% sunny. Battery efficiency vs maintenance  and price was the hard trade-off... I chose longevity, so hopefully thtat was the right choice. Li  was still a bit uncertain a year ago.

My turn now, off to work...

thanks a lot for the help...

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggestion for anyone doing a firmware upgrade for the first time. Practice on a non critical part of the system like the SCP or a battery monitor in an Outback. Also, make sure all of the other devices are current along with the one you need to do.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• vitoT
    vitoT Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    Schneider Conext solar equipment should not be installed off grid. Or at least not far away from a grid where you have no cell service,internet or grid power. Some of there models don't work properly in California, tech service also sucks... Do not waist your money on Schneider, I guarantee you wont be happy..
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You seem to have story to tell, so why not tell it?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Much more fun to just complain on your first post. I love the part about them only not working in California. Even better the part about them not working offgrid. ;)

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, @vitoT doesn't want to share his story?

I was looking forward to knowing how California prevents Schneider equipment from working off-grid, away from cell service. No, really, I was.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #100
    Don't let vitoT near my XW !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @vitoT had an ax to grind, even the best equipment, not saying Schneider is the best,  has its critics, take it at face value.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Let us wait until (or if) Vito returns with further information.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Bill,
    I would like to ask that you consider closing this thread. I am not asking make it go away as I think any reasonable person who has read this will come to a middle ground as the op had a gripe, and at that time there was not much support for the high voltages he wanted.

I think the title defames a decent company and the people who work there.

Not very family friendly  --Dave

• reefbum
    reefbum Solar Expert Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited August 2018 #104
    Dave

The title does not defame any person or company. It was a true representation of the frustration I was going through.
    At the time of my "complaints" and "observations" (not gripes) there was little to no support coming out of SE for the legitimate issues I was having. When I was doing my research into the system I was to buy, I made that decision based on the advertised spec's for the SE equipment.
    SE failed to provide the equipment that could do what they advertised and marketed it to do. They did fianlly release firmware to fix some of my issues but only after 2.5 years and after I no longer had a need because I replaced all the equipment with Outback equipment. Weather they have now fixed and updated all thier issues, I don't know or care as I no longer have a need. I will say that the Outback equipment installed has been in operation since day 1 without any of the issues I faced with SE equipment.

This has nothing to do with being "family friendly" on the part of NAWS, I have and continue to purchase items when needed from NAWS and they are always nice and family friendly. Perhaps SE should have been more of a "Bankable Partner" back when it was needed.

Regards

PS: @BB. - As the OP I do agree this thread should be closed but not removed....  
  • Dave Angelini
    Reefbum,

I know they have told me how they regret how it played out. I am working with them on a project now so I appreciate your point of view.

I also work with Outback and to be fair I would say in your case that is great. They have plenty of issues also I am afraid. It is the nature of this business.

Thanks for getting back and I hope there are alot of fish to spear on that reef :)   --Dave

This discussion has been closed.