mppt charger and normal battery charger in parallel?

hansvz
hansvz Registered Users Posts: 2
I have a small setup (1 solar cell 150W, 2 batteries 12V/100Ah and a Tracer3210A charge controler)

In the near future I want to upgrade to bigger/more cells.

But for now I have the issue that my solar cell does not have the capacity to charge the batteries enough to keep up with my usage.
especially during clouded days when I get only 1A out of this older cell.

Can I put a normal battery charger in parallel to charge the batteries with a generator during clouded days. Or do I have to disconnect my solar charger if I want to charge this way.

Thanks for any help.

Hans

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #2
    Yes it is possible to have both chargers connected in parallel, just keep an eye on the voltage unless the charger is a smart charger designed for the battery type you have, if not disconnect when the voltage approaches 14.4V and let the solar finnish the charging. Many  inexspensive automotive chargers tend to overcharge taking the voltage way too high, be very careful when using with a sealed non spillable type as they can be damaged  by overcharging. You did not say what type you have.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fine to use an auxiliary charger from a generator. best way is to start the gen in the morning and let the generator BULK the batteries at max fuel efficacy and then let the solar finish it off.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rupu
    rupu Registered Users Posts: 1
    Bro I want to charge 12v li ion battery by using both Solar and 12 dc generator is possible
    Is any Intermediate circuit is available to charge battery
  • hansvz
    hansvz Registered Users Posts: 2
    I connected the batterycharger and solar charger in parallel and all seems to work without any issues.
    Thanks for the support.

• cjpetrie
    cjpetrie Registered Users Posts: 4
    I recommend a parallel (smart) charger because it allows you a backup system in case your main inverter fails and you have to substitute for a time a cheaper backup inverter without a charger, as well as the increased control you have with it and protection of the batteries.