Conext SW4024 Tips

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
My SW4024 and SCP should be here soon so if there are any tips about install I would appreciate it. I think I will go with 240 volt grid tie, old unit was 120 volt.  I have a Honda EU2000I that I can use during an emergency and had the inverter wired so that I could plug the generator in easily, used a 12/3 cable and limited the gen to 12 amps charge so as not to overtax. Is there any cautions/concerns when grid tie is 240 volts and the generator charges at 120 volts? Tips about the settings would help and order of steps and maybe even deficiencies in the install manual.
And I must compliment NAWS, the forum sponsor. My order was shipped Tuesday the same day I ordered and is scheduled to be here Friday, Very fast and the prices were good.

Comments

• MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    Do u have a transfer switch between the grid on and generator in?

Will u b charging batteries?

Do u plan to use the inverter in an off-grid style set up or in its AC support mode?
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • stmar
    No xfer switch, I do it manually, the grid breaker is close to the unit.
    Charging 4 X 6 volt Lifeline AGMS total 400ah.
    AC support mode, use it as a UPS.
  • stmar
    I do have a transfer switch for grid, I am running my well pump on it, and a T-220 120v to 240v step up xformer for when the grid goes down. If I run 240 volt with the inverter then I have eliminated the need for the T-220, can save it for the Apocalypse. I can move the transfer switch to grid and inverter. The generator has never been used in an emergency, just testing, so manually plugging it in and disconnecting the grid are no big deal, a transfer switch for that operation would be overkill. The ability to have 240 volts has opened up a whole new avenue of things I can do better with my system and every comment brings on more brainstorming so thanks.
  • MrM1
    Have you looked at the wiring diagram for the SW?

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    I am asking How Will You Use the SW? 
    - AC Support with Grid In
    - Or totally off Grid
    - Will it be used to charge batteries
    - As a 240v split phase or 120v single phase
  • stmar
    AC support with Grid in
    Charge battery bank
    Thinking I will go 240v split phase
    I think I see where you are coming from for the xfer switch on gen and grid, looks like this unit does not have AC1 and AC2 terminals like the old SW. May just leave the gen out since it is hardly ever used, plus it is 120 volt so may not be compatible with this setup.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    stmar said:
    AC support with Grid in
    Charge battery bank
    Thinking I will go 240v split phase
    I think I see where you are coming from for the xfer switch on gen and grid, looks like this unit does not have AC1 and AC2 terminals like the old SW. May just leave the gen out since it is hardly ever used, plus it is 120 volt so may not be compatible with this setup.
    Read this thread, has some interesting info regarding ballance and AC support.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/353094/balancing-the-loads-of-my-conext-sw-with-an-autotransformer#latest
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • MrM1
    edited July 2018 #9
    Yes you are correct.  There are only L1 and L2 Input,  so only a single AC in.    

As Mcgivor pointed out,  Load balancing is important with the Conext SW.   If you load one side of the split phase way more than the other there is some derating in the output.   

There are several install / operation Tips in these threads:

• mcgivor
    It is ironic that the split phase is cheaper than the single phase, using the host store as reference, perhaps a supply demand thing in the US, I was going to suggest a single phase using an external transformer, but the split phase is less expensive, go figure, they are probably identical except the output transformer. But it would appear using an external transformer would avoid the ballance issues.  
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • stmar
    Thanks for all the input, new item learning curve, helps a lot. I will balance the loads, we are fairly frugal with our power and have just regular household loads. What is the disadvantage of unbalanced L1 L2? Reason I ask is that wife has hair dryer and curling iron going in the mornings on one circuit and there won't be much load anywhere else. If it is just more grid energy use then no problem, I don't think there would be a way to split those two appliances.
    The old T-220 auto transformer I have puts out 2800 watts so I may find a use for it in the future. I will get my system installed and play with it for a while to see what is best for my situation. 
  • mcgivor
    That's a good plan, generally hair dryer and curling irons are short duration loads so wouldn't make that much difference on the grand scale. 
  • MrM1
    mcgivor said:
    It is ironic that the split phase is cheaper than the single phase, using the host store as reference, perhaps a supply demand thing in the US, I was going to suggest a single phase using an external transformer, but the split phase is less expensive, go figure, they are probably identical except the output transformer. But it would appear using an external transformer would avoid the ballance issues.  
    That is what drove me to the SW in the first place,  cost per output watt. 
  • MrM1
    edited July 2018 #14
    stmar said:
     What is the disadvantage of unbalanced L1 L2? Reason I ask is that wife has hair dryer and curling iron going in the mornings on one circuit and there won't be much load anywhere else. If it is just more grid energy use then no problem, I don't think there would be a way to split those two appliances.
    The old T-220 auto transformer I have puts out 2800 watts so I may find a use for it in the future. I will get my system installed and play with it for a while to see what is best for my situation. 
    The issue is the derating of the inverter.  It is really only rated for about 1700 watts per side - L1 and L2.  But as Mcgivor said,  it would be fine for short duration.

Also,  the inverters AC Support Mode really does not work well at all if the loads are inbalanced.  But it would work flawlessly with an Auto Transformer after the output of the inverter to balance the L1 / L2 loads.    When I use a single 240v L1/L2 load like a pump that is perfectly balanced,  AC support mode works as adversitised.  Let those loads got off by an amp or 2 and it starts drawing more from the Grid than from the battery. 
  • mcgivor
    The Conext SW series of inverter chargers are actually pretty good  considering the price, way more features than a non integrated system of similar cost, the System Control Panel or better yet Combox make it a very versatile unit. 
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    We have the SW4024 as well. I was originally trying to figure out how to balance the loads, but we really can't. Our main load is a 120VAC well pump that pulls around 12A-13A (~1500W), but it runs for 2 min 40 seconds each time, maybe 3-4 times per day. The other big load we have is a microwave, which pulls about 1000W for no more than 5 minutes, 2 times per day. Those two are not on the same leg, which is about all I can do.  It's all worked fine when running off the solar / batteries.

My brother has reported some strange behavior from the SW4024 when he's running the generator and the well pump turns on.  He's actually reported different types of strange behavior, and I haven't actually seen it at all myself. I was speculating that it might be due to the imbalance between the legs, but I'm not sure.

Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • MrM1
    edited July 2018 #17
    @Horsefly,  have you considered an Auto Transformer as we discussed here?  I am hoping someone actually tries this, as  I actually think it will work very well and cause the SW in North America to do what it is suppose to do.   Schneider told me it would work and was a very good idea,  but I have not had the resources to try it yet.

As to strange behaviors,  I have seen  a few.  What are they looking like on your end?
  • MrM1
    edited July 2018 #18
    To the OP and Install Tips.  IMHO, AC support mode is a great feature if it worked as advertised.   In North America with 120v split phase circuits,  it does not due to load imbalances.     It works  when the loads are balanced,  and it works sometimes when the loads are pretty balanced.  And the higher the loads get the better it works if there is inbalance.  You can see the disadvantage of unbalance issues discussed here

But if you really wanted to have AC  support mode work well,  I would say to plan into your install an Auto Transformer like the FW-X240 or PSX-240 would work.   While I have not tested this,  I have been told it should work. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or skip the add on transformer and get the XW+ series, but that's more $$
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar
    > @mike95490 said:
    > Or skip the add on transformer and get the XW+ series, but that's more $$

When I was looking it said the 24 volt model was being discontinued and the XW was going to 48 volt or did I miss something? And like you said it was twice as much $$$ as the SW if you could find one.
  • stmar
    What temperature range is your mechanical room where your system is located, summer winter?