Warning: Keyless Cars may not turn off automatically when parked in Garage. Many have died

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Warning for folks with keyless cars... Apparently some folks have been injured or died when the parked their car in the garage without manually turning off their car/engine (did not hear engine, thought walking away with fob would turn off engine?). And later died because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/business/deadly-convenience-keyless-cars-and-their-carbon-monoxide-toll.html
The exact number of deaths related to carbon monoxide from keyless-ignition vehicles left running is unknown, as no federal agency keeps comprehensive records. Through 2016, the most recent year for which data is available, the safety agency had investigated only four fatal incidents. From news reports, lawsuits, police and fire records and incidents tracked by advocacy groups, The Times has identified 28 deaths and 45 injuries since 2006, but the figures could be higher.
-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real good reason for having a Carbon monoxide detector in the garage.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Threat is real. I knew a lady who died while her Cadillac was idling in the garage. Hard to say if accident or on purpose. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a 2018 dodge charger with the keyless entry.  I noticed you have to put it in park before you turn engine  off.  Also there is a light that displays off for a second or so when you turn it off. Also another check you can do is look at the tackometer to see if it is registering any rpm.  Pretty simple if you ask me. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    naw, I'd just turn up the stereo.  

We have to leave our garage door open a couple minutes after shutting off, or the alarm goes off.  Or if I idle my truck outside, the alarm goes off. 
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    And if you arrive home and your wife then says ," hey i need the car" and jumps in and drives off...... you will have trouble if she dosnt take the proximity key with her . Once she gets to destination and turns car off . It wont start again until car and keys are reunited .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 said:
    naw, I'd just turn up the stereo.  

We have to leave our garage door open a couple minutes after shutting off, or the alarm goes off.  Or if I idle my truck outside, the alarm goes off. 

I thought about that. Not knowing what carbon monoxide gas does in enclosed space (heavier than air, lighter than air, etc.) I'm curious about the placement of the detector. An active ventilation fan, operated by the garage door opener and/or detector sounds like a good thing to have. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.