RVers Get Any Tax Credits For Installing Solar?

OldMan
OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
Hey, we'll be fulltime, saving energy and a great deal of our energy use will go into the RV. Almost all of it.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think you can claim it as a residence.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree as you will need an address on the tax form.

If you think about it more, you can do whatever you want with taxes, until you get audited :'(
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• woozy
    woozy Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Yes, you can. But you get to pick whether you want to be a residence or a vehicle. Being a residence  usually involves property taxes. Pick your poison. I've chosen to be a vehicle, and I park it on my property that has no zoning against it. 

It's a bit complex, so you need to check both the IRS regs and your state law.
  • OldMan
    Well, crap. I hate America.
  • jmb
    jmb Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Maybe you could put it up on blocks and call it a secondary residence.  Here's from the .gov site:

"A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling unit located in the United States that is owned and used as a residence by the taxpayer. "

Now, if your residence is a motor home parked at an RV park or campsite?
    Justin B.
    Cabin - 9 Mission Solar 310 watt panels, MidNite Solar Combiner, Iron Ridge mounting, 4 Speciaized Power 200 AH 24V LiFePO4 batteries, Samlex PST-1500-24 inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200SL CC

Barn - 9 Renogy 100W panels, Generic Chinese 40A MPPT CC, 6 Universal 12V 100 AH AGM batteries, Reliable 3KW 12V PSW inverter

• OldMan
    Or better yet, traveling?