RVers Get Any Tax Credits For Installing Solar?

OldManOldMan Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
Hey, we'll be fulltime, saving energy and a great deal of our energy use will go into the RV. Almost all of it.

Comments

• PhotowhitPhotowhit Solar Expert Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think you can claim it as a residence.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Prosine 1800 and Exeltech 1100, 660 ah 24v ForkLift battery. Off grid for @16 of last 17 years. Assorted other systems, and to many panels in the closet to not do more...lol
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree as you will need an address on the tax form.

If you think about it more, you can do whatever you want with taxes, until you get audited :'(
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• woozywoozy Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Yes, you can. But you get to pick whether you want to be a residence or a vehicle. Being a residence  usually involves property taxes. Pick your poison. I've chosen to be a vehicle, and I park it on my property that has no zoning against it. 

It's a bit complex, so you need to check both the IRS regs and your state law.
  • OldManOldMan Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Well, crap. I hate America.
  • jmbjmb Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Maybe you could put it up on blocks and call it a secondary residence.  Here's from the .gov site:

"A taxpayer may claim a credit of 30% of qualified expenditures for a system that serves a dwelling unit located in the United States that is owned and used as a residence by the taxpayer. "

Now, if your residence is a motor home parked at an RV park or campsite?
    Justin B.
    9 Renogy 100 watt panels, 6 Universal UB121000 100 Ah deep cycle batteries
    Samlex 24V 1500 watt PSW inverter, PowMr 60A MPPT charge controller

• OldManOldMan Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Or better yet, traveling?