FM80 vent fan setup question

bbqjoe
bbqjoe Registered Users Posts: 2
I'm all turned around, maybe someone can get me dialed in.
I have everything required, I just can't determine how I should set my exhaust fan up.

I'm running a 24V system, using the FM80. It looks to hold the float at 28V.

Obviously we want the fans to run during the bulk and absorb stages, the float not so much, and certainly not at night.

(It appears only one setpoint can be made, where on and off points might be better.)

How do you set up the fan mode to do this, and not run when it doesn't need to especially at night?

Or should a different aux mode be used instead of fan mode?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The auxiliary output could be programmed by voltage and an external digital time clock used to enable between certain hours.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd set it for Absorb only.  Or for sensing and triggering on your absorb voltage

If your battery box is properly vented, there should be natural convection to disperse gas buildup.  To rely on a fan for such a critical function, should only be needed if proper engineering cannot be accomplished due to other constraints.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    Voltage would allow function during EQ as well as absorption.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    28 volts float seems a bit high 

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • bbqjoe
    bbqjoe Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    Is the fan needed, maybe not, but it gets pretty hot here in the summer, so having something to exchange the air when the batteries are boiling can't be bad, and it would make me feel good.
    28v seems a bit high to me too. My solar goto guy says that's the factory setting, and to just leave it alone.

How can one set this auto fan function to only operate during absorb?
    Or... How can a person set it so it comes on at say 25V and shuts off at 28V?
  • mcgivor
    @petertearai  My solar goto guy says that's the factory setting, and to just leave it alone.

The float setting should be according to the battery manufacturers recommendations, ~27V is normal for lead acid. 

As far as the settings go for the auxillary output, each controller differs, but having the output trigger at a voltage where gassing is most likely, say 28.8V resetting when it drops below may be all that is required, as the sun sets the voltage would never be this high so the fan would not run.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

There is a description of the Vent Fan Aux function on page 30 (your pdf reader call it page 32,  or so) in the Manual at the link below:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/Make_the_Power/flexmax_6080/owner_manual.pdf

If you have limited net bandwidth,  we could copy and paste it here,   or describe if for you,  if needed.

The voltage setting is battery voltage,   even though it does not seem to say that.
    Would set this voltage a bit below Gassing voltage.

What type,  make and model number are your batteries?

Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.